Details

Author Topic: More history_the first car in Jamaica  (Read 5553 times)

Offline OldFart

• yada
    • View Profile
More history_the first car in Jamaica
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
This car was brought to Jamaica in the early 1900’s by HW Griffith. They owned the Hodges property which is near Black River. Hooray for St Bess again, 1st parish with electricity and cars.
My Grandfather knew the family and I remember him telling me that they used to fuel the car at Holland Estate. I figure that the car used alcohol rather than gasoline.
Notice how they are dressed as if they are expecting winter. It’s either it was much cooler in Ja in dem days or it was simply a dress up for the photo taking.
My Dad took these photos of the originals at the family home in Mandeville back in the sixties.
I haven’t a clue as to what type of car it is. A Renault maybe? Any other guesses?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:06:31 AM by OldFart »

Offline OldFart

• yada
    • View Profile
Re: More history_the first car in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
This looks like a cut-out from the Gleaner.

Offline Vince Mon!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »
 [ponder]This is interresting!

Offline Crössdrilled---[1998cc]

• View Profile
    • Crossdrilled: My idle blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
this story was mentioned in a classic car magazine, i think this owner was really upset at jps [the only ppl with gasoline at the time] and eventually bought a steam car

Offline needforspeedja

• Powered by DOHC VTEC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
i was gonna a say a ford  [noclue]

Offline OldFart

• yada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
this story was mentioned in a classic car magazine, i think this owner was really upset at jps [the only ppl with gasoline at the time] and eventually bought a steam car
There have been a couple articles on this car but I can't find any in the Gleaner archives. Have you got a copy of the magazine?

Offline hansie mk1

• WJ Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
Very interesting [2thumbsup] [2thumbsup]

Offline acro

• View Profile
    • http://npoforlife.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
ford model T perhaps  [ponder]
Used xbox games call of duty black ops and just dance vol 3
Pm me for details

Offline TurboDré

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
This guy must have been really rich at the time, i wonder how easy it was for him to find roads to drive it considering the fact that no cars were here before.

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
Quote from: http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090716/lead/lead3.html
In 1903, Jamaica's first motor car - a four-cylinder 'New Orleans' made in Twickenham in England - was driven in Black River. It was owned by H.W. Griffiths of Hodges Pen. Black River was also the first town in Jamaica to have telephone service

Trying to find more on the "New Orleans" bit... am liking your historical posts OF. Please keep 'em coming. [applause]
A THING THAT HAPPENS ONCE WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. A THING THAT HAPPENS TWICE WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN A THIRD TIME...

Offline The Scorpion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
damn oldfart at it................ [bike]
interesting stuff imho. [bike] [ponder]

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
Ooh! this is interesting...

This is an excerpt from the book Lawyer Manley: Vol. 1 First Time Up by Jackie Ranston

On the second page it stated that Mr. Griffiths' car was the first to be registered -- no contest there.

« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 07:11:23 PM by ~Cypher~ »
A THING THAT HAPPENS ONCE WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. A THING THAT HAPPENS TWICE WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN A THIRD TIME...

Offline OldFart

• yada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
The roads in St Elizabeth in particular were still cart tracks of course but apparently they were decent cart tracks. Black River itself was quite properous. Hodges Land was a couple of thousand acres, but the family made most of their money from the logwood trade. By the 20's and 30's the family fortunes dived with the decline in the logwood business and they were sold much of their land to keep afloat.
The Nuttall were lawyers so always wealthy. The Hendersons I think ended up having loads of land in Liguanea. I can still remember the big family mansion on what is now Sovereign. Andre Hylton can tell you more as I think he bought one of the first Jaguars built from the family.

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
The roads in St Elizabeth in particular were still cart tracks of course but apparently they were decent cart tracks. Black River itself was quite properous. Hodges Land was a couple of thousand acres, but the family made most of their money from the logwood trade. By the 20's and 30's the family fortunes dived with the decline in the logwood business and they were sold much of their land to keep afloat.
The Nuttall were lawyers so always wealthy. The Hendersons I think ended up having loads of land in Liguanea. I can still remember the big family mansion on what is now Sovereign. Andre Hylton can tell you more as I think he bought one of the first Jaguars built from the family.

Why'd you stop?  ???

More, please. ;D

Offline nOs

• Just cruisin...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
@ OF....interesting bit of history. I knew bits and pieces of it, but thanks for bring much of it together.  [thumbsup]

@ Cypher....u continue to amaze me with ur internet-searching capabilities! lol  [notworthy]
I'm a blood donor, what about u?

benchracer

« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »
On the matter of roads.

The first cars were really powered-carriages and could therefore traverse the same roads as the horse-drawn variety.

The earliest cars were "toys" for the wealthy. When they started to become a public mischief regulations were put in place. One of these was that a person with a flag walk ahead of the vehicle so as not to scare people of horses.

The earliest attempt at a car were powered by steam, even electricity. It was the oil discoveries in the US and other places that made petroleum-based fuels popular.

The Duryea was one of the first cars to be put into production in the US. The cars that came here would have been a novelty too, even in the USA! 

Mark, thanks for starting the discussion. Now I'm really sorry I did not record some of those discussion back in the early days of the JCCC. Sadly, many of the custodians of Jamaica's auto history has passed on since.

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
On the matter of roads.

The first cars were really powered-carriages and could therefore traverse the same roads as the horse-drawn variety.

The earliest cars were "toys" for the wealthy. When they started to become a public mischief regulations were put in place. One of these was that a person with a flag walk ahead of the vehicle so as not to scare people of horses.

The earliest attempt at a car were powered by steam, even electricity. It was the oil discoveries in the US and other places that made petroleum-based fuels popular.

The Duryea was one of the first cars to be put into production in the US. The cars that came here would have been a novelty too, even in the USA! 

Mark, thanks for starting the discussion. Now I'm really sorry I did not record some of those discussion back in the early days of the JCCC. Sadly, many of the custodians of Jamaica's auto history has passed on since.

I know a couple people from Mandeville/St. Elizabeth who would probably have some more info on the vehicles and "life" back then. It may take a while though... [ponder]

I know I'm probably stating the obvious here, but we have a rich tradition of oral history. Stories have been passed on from generation to generation. THAT, in a way is a bit of record keeping. But if you and others can write down what you remember from those discussions and with the permission of the remaining custodians, record (video or sound) their recollections, I for one would be grateful and also be willing to help. Please note however I'll be fueled by enthusiasm and a thirst for knowledge. I'm new to the world of auto-mechanics and almost clueless when it comes to classic cars. :-\

benchracer

« Reply #17 on: February 4, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »
On the matter of roads.

I know a couple people from Mandeville/St. Elizabeth who would probably have some more info on the vehicles and "life" back then. It may take a while though... [ponder]

I know I'm probably stating the obvious here, but we have a rich tradition of oral history. Stories have been passed on from generation to generation. THAT, in a way is a bit of record keeping. But if you and others can write down what you remember from those discussions and with the permission of the remaining custodians, record (video or sound) their recollections, I for one would be grateful and also be willing to help. Please note however I'll be fueled by enthusiasm and a thirst for knowledge. I'm new to the world of auto-mechanics and almost clueless when it comes to classic cars. :-\

You know you will become one of those custodians in the future? That's why its important to separate fact from fiction as much as you can right now [thumbsup].

I've had discussions with various individuals about capturing some of our rich oral history. Always seems to be some new pressure to derail this project.

Hope some critical mass builds up around this idea so someone can get it going.

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 5, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
You know you will become one of those custodians in the future? That's why its important to separate fact from fiction as much as you can right now [thumbsup].

I've had discussions with various individuals about capturing some of our rich oral history. Always seems to be some new pressure to derail this project.

Hope some critical mass builds up around this idea so someone can get it going.

In a sense, we all are custodians, which is why we need to pool our knowledge (that separating fact from fiction you mentioned).

Re "pressure to derail" -- I can empathize. I made a number of attempts to document my family's history which would have coincided but I couldn't even get my sibling's co-operation to handle the recorder when I had to be  away. I ended up having to ask for some of the story in writing (but that was too taxing on the individual -- who was willing mind you). Then one of my sisters offered to transcribe said notes -- that was the last I sawr of them. I know she did it -- just not passing it back to me.  :-\

I just settled for the talks instead -- but so much has been lost.  [reallysad] Eventually some family from overseas picked up the slack.

I work in IT/computing and one of the things that's been shoved down our throats is that if we want something done -- we need management's buy-in. One other thing I noticed is that not everyone wants to get in on the ground floor. They jump on when things start going. Too many times we play the waiting game.  If the current custodians are willing I say full speed ahead!

Who was it that said if you don't know where you're from you can't know where you're going?

Offline toyracer

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
The Hendersons I think ended up having loads of land in Liguanea. I can still remember the big family mansion on what is now Sovereign.

I remember that house as well, having to drive past it every day on my way to and from school (Jamaica College).

Offline GTR34luvr

• Gotta keep focused!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
The Hendersons I think ended up having loads of land in Liguanea. I can still remember the big family mansion on what is now Sovereign.

I remember that house as well, having to drive past it every day on my way to and from school (Jamaica College).

oooh anyone have any pics? sorry thats the architect student in me :-[
~Sdwyz 4 lyphe~ SHOP AT LEADERS PLAZA IN MANDEVILLE FOR SALE! AVAILABLE WITH OT WITHOUT BAR FIXTURES! $15MIL NEGOTIABLE!!! CALL 990-6553/ 509-7985 FOR MORE DETAILS!!

Offline :sin:

• taliban k...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »
Great thread.. Hope more informatio is shared.
kill starts with k.

Offline Maz

• Malcolm: Krazyier Than B4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »
so where is that car now...

Offline Juggern@ut

• IG: @YezusKrys
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
so where is that car now...

What he said [noclue]
No care weh yuh bad from nor di endz weh u trod from...

Offline Crössdrilled---[1998cc]

• View Profile
    • Crossdrilled: My idle blog
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 02:00:51 AM »
probably a coffee table

Offline bigmac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
interesting stuff, it's nice to know the history of the first car in jam down, another reason I love logging on to wheels there is always something new to learn.
Don't think about what can my car do for me, but what can I do for my car. I seriously think if you take good care of your car, your car will take even better care of you...

Offline CDR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
sum nice Jamaican motoring history here in this thread  [bump] glad to know st.e did a gwaan wid things back then. lol [kick]

Offline M.A.R_YungR™ ®

• THE MOST AGGRESSIVE REVVER!!!! NUH LONG TALKING!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »
i want to see a pic of tht house and i want to know where is the car now  [nod]

your dashboard need a heatshield jezza

Your mouth needs a WASTEgat

Offline M.A.R_YungR™ ®

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »

when was this? and by what means did you travel to and from school?

Offline wspy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
Late 70's early 80's..... probably car and on occasion JOS jollybuss  [nod]
"Nothing Lasts".......well almost.

Offline M.A.R_YungR™ ®

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
Late 70's early 80's..... probably car and on occasion JOS jollybuss  [nod]

still never born yet  [nod] but ive seen pics of the jolly bus....was thinking that maybe he would say some time way earlier than 70's

Armchair racer

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
This car was brought to Jamaica in the early 1900’s by HW Griffith. They owned the Hodges property which is near Black River. Hooray for St Bess again, 1st parish with electricity and cars.
My Grandfather knew the family and I remember him telling me that they used to fuel the car at Holland Estate. I figure that the car used alcohol rather than gasoline.
Notice how they are dressed as if they are expecting winter. It’s either it was much cooler in Ja in dem days or it was simply a dress up for the photo taking.
My Dad took these photos of the originals at the family home in Mandeville back in the sixties.
I haven’t a clue as to what type of car it is. A Renault maybe? Any other guesses?

It's quite cool in an Open car at top speed, bout 25 or 30 in that car ???  ;D ;D  anyway the clothes was their onlt protection from the elements!  but can you inagine how they would feel inna the broiling sun ???

Armchair racer

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
Roads and cars! I remember when I was a child there was a driver, who drove the mail van  and one day he almost killed usby driving around a corner in the middle of the road, my father said when they were learning to drive in the 40's they were told to center the  radiator with the pile of stones pushed into the middle of the tracks... he said that guy was srick in those days in his driving habits even though the cars didn't have the same kinda grilles anymore, and roads were widened and now paved!  [rofl] [rofl]