Details

Author Topic: CUSTOM DUTY ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 2875 times)

Offline PERCY!

• View Profile
CUSTOM DUTY ON MOTORCYCLES
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:38:33 AM »
So i've decided to try the waiver thing, and try to get a Boulevard M50 in.
Does anyone have an idea of what the custom duty and other fees relating to importing a bike are currently.
I just want to start crunching some numbers, si wah mi a work wid.
I already have the money for the bike.
It's an 800cc engine, i dont know if that has any bearing on the costs.

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
Re: CUSTOM DUTY ON MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:33:33 AM »
Well for starters at 800cc its over the limit to be imported without a dealers lic...Last bike I imported was in Dec of 2011, and it was a 636cc sport bike, even that bike Jamaica customs tired to tell me was too large to be imported to Ja, until I printed and sent them a link to their own website stating the limit is 700cc..And even thou many people have been posted the tax rate has dropped I still experienced about %70 of the declared value in tax and import fees...

Offline PERCY!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Well Elda1 was telling me about the waiver process, whereby you can import bikes over the 700cc limit, so i was planning to try that route.
BUT 70%!!! That's almost prohibitive!!!
I could get a clean M50 in the $3500-4000 range, suh at 70% that works out to approx. $2800!

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
Well Elda1 was telling me about the waiver process, whereby you can import bikes over the 700cc limit, so i was planning to try that route.
I could get a clean M50 in the $3500-4000 range, suh at 70% that works out to approx. $2800!

Its your country you dont have to tell me, I know its crazy. Here in canada you buy a bike and only pay %8 tax on used motorcycles plus $235 for the paperwork...Ive imported 5 sport bikes to JA in the last 2 years and they were all around %70

Offline $$ DMoney $$

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Its your country you dont have to tell me, I know its crazy. Here in canada you buy a bike and only pay %8 tax on used motorcycles plus $235 for the paperwork...Ive imported 5 sport bikes to JA in the last 2 years and they were all around %70

Hold up, you mean duty and taxes equate to about 70% of the value of the bike [question]
#PurpleSkunk'd

Offline PERCY!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
U better believe it!

Offline $$ DMoney $$

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
U better believe it!

What about understating the value?
#PurpleSkunk'd

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
U better believe it!

Thats a risk you can take, customs has the ability to reject your value and evaluate it themselves if they feel your value is not correct...Basically your not going to get away with sending a beautiful 2011 600 sport bike in good condition, and claim its only worth $500 US

In 2010 I sent a 2005 600RR, I declare it for $4500 Canadian, and just to give you an idea that is already low, as you will never find a 2005 600RR here in 2010 for only $4500, that bike sells here for at least $6000
Anyways they calculate that into a CIF value (cost+insurance+freight) of 404,972.07 JA

I was charged 273,731.29 JA in tax and fees by your government to clear that bike.....That does not include the $600 Canadian I pay for shipping, and I build the crate myself...

That is just to give you an idea...So even if you claim it lower then that, that will give you an idea of the rates they charge...This are the big numbers on the customs paper.

Duty 161,988.83
CGCT 99,215.16
CUF 8,090.44
ENVL 2,024.86
CPF 1,000
Stamp 200.00
BS 1,200.00
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:50:09 AM by JohnnyP »

Offline $$ DMoney $$

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
U better believe it!

Thats a risk you can take, customs has the ability to reject your value and evaluate it themselves if they feel your value is not correct...Basically your not going to get away with sending a beautiful 2011 600 sport bike in good condition, and claim its only worth $500 US

In 2010 I sent a 2005 600RR, I declare it for $4500 Canadian, and just to give you an idea that is already low, as you will never find a 2005 600RR here in 2010 for only $4500, that bike sells here for at least $6000
Anyways they calculate that into a CIF value (cost+insurance+freight) of 404,972.07 JA

I was charged 273,731.29 JA in tax and fees by your government to clear that bike.....That does not include the $600 Canadian I pay for shipping, and I build the crate myself...

That is just to give you an idea...So even if you claim it lower then that, that will give you an idea of the rates they charge...This are the big numbers on the customs paper.

Duty 161,988.83
CGCT 99,215.16
CUF 8,090.44
ENVL 2,024.86
CPF 1,000
Stamp 200.00
BS 1,200.00

DAAAAMNNN!! Cost almost 700K total for an 05... sigh, no wonder so many barellas on the road still. This is ridiculous!
#PurpleSkunk'd

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
U better believe it!

Duty 161,988.83
CGCT 99,215.16
CUF 8,090.44
ENVL 2,024.86
CPF 1,000
Stamp 200.00
BS 1,200.00

Shoot! They even have a "BS" charge?  ???

Only in Jamaica.
RIP Alexander "Alex" Hue; 1996-2014

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Percy!,

My advice to you would be to get a not so clean M50, via auction, etc. Ship that down 'as is' with the replacement parts at the auction value. When it gets here, you get it repaired. That might save you some cash.

JohnnyP would probably be the best person to get it for you at the auctions as he could check to make sure the bike is otherwise straight (frame-wise), and could likely get the replacement parts for you too. In a perfect world, you could time the purchase and delivery so that he could fit it up for you on one of his trips out here. I'm pretty sure elda1 would have links to competent mechanics too.

I wouldn't rule out that option, but I would take advice from them 1st. If you don't get it much cheaper (less money), maybe you can at least get it slightly newer (same money but value added).

Offline -Alpha-

• Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 1, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Is there a year restriction for bikes like there is for cars?

If so, what is it?
......we shouldn't allow fear to determine our lives. Be careful, Not fearful."

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
^^ 1932.

j/k

No year restrictions - which is actually good for the classic bike club.

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 3, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
^^ 1932.

j/k

No year restrictions - which is actually good for the classic bike club.

Real ting?!!!!!! [crazy]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
^^ Yes. In my view, the only reason to bring down an 'older' bike - say 2000 or older (12 years + for future reference) - is if you are getting it for next to nothing (already owned it overseas / sentimental value), or if it is rare or unavailable locally. Otherwise, if it is your run of the mill 600, you can get a legit one locally for no hassle and for the same price or less.

For newer bikes, say 5-6 years and younger, then getting it from overseas may offer a saving.

Someone else can confirm.

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
600k not a bad price for this, is it? I mean, I buy it there and ship and pay customs I am looking at about 600, right? [unsure]

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcd/2989762259.html

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
^^ If you could get it landed for $500k or less, that would be better.

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
^^ If you could get it landed for $500k or less, that would be better.

did you mean landed or "in mi yaad'?

And is that even possible? ???

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
^^ Ok, at your doorstep.

I probably was a bit light on the conversion rate initially, but used $2,900 + $600 (shipping) = $3,500 x 1.7 (taxes) = $5,950 x $87 = $520k.

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
^^ Ok, at your doorstep.

I probably was a bit light on the conversion rate initially, but used $2,900 + $600 (shipping) = $3,500 x 1.7 (taxes) = $5,950 x $87 = $520k.

Sounds doable.  [ponder]

I thought shipping would be more.

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
^^ I'm using a price that JohnnyP gave earlier in reply #7, for shipping from Canada.

The only thing I may have overlooked is the crate, but I have no clue how much that costs.

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
 [thumbsup]

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »
^^ I'm using a price that JohnnyP gave earlier in reply #7, for shipping from Canada.

The only thing I may have overlooked is the crate, but I have no clue how much that costs.

I have heard anywhere from $200-500 for a actual motorcycle specific crate, from an actual shipping/packaging company. The company I ship with is not picky at all, so the last few I have just gotten a pallet from the back of my work or my neighbours work and screwed down a sheet of plywood to it, then bought some cheap hooks and ratchet straps, one for each corner, screw the hooks into the corners of the pallet and strap down the bike with some blocks screwed into the plywood around the wheels to stop it from moving...Then I just use the stretch wrap I have at work to wrap them close after its all packed up...Total cost for me with hooks, screws, straps, is about $50 US, pallet, wood and wrap is free

The only thing they make me do, is drain the gas tank, and unhook the battery....I also have to sign a waiver that states that I have done so

Offline dP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 4, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Well for starters at 800cc its over the limit to be imported without a dealers lic...Last bike I imported was in Dec of 2011, and it was a 636cc sport bike, even that bike Jamaica customs tired to tell me was too large to be imported to Ja, until I printed and sent them a link to their own website stating the limit is 700cc..And even thou many people have been posted the tax rate has dropped I still experienced about %70 of the declared value in tax and import fees...

what's that link you mentioned?

is there an age limit for importing motorcycles? i can't seem to find the motorcycle info on the customs website. not sure if i'm at the right place (http://www.jacustoms.gov.jm)

search results with helpful tips:   ???

do the right thing

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 4, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »

is there an age limit for importing motorcycles? i can't seem to find the motorcycle info on the customs website. not sure if i'm at the right place (http://www.jacustoms.gov.jm)

search results with helpful tips:   ???

I cant remember where on the site I found it, but at the time I did find it I took a picture to text to my link in Jamaica to show the customs officer that said I was not allowed to send a 636cc motorcycle to Jamaica...
Here is the link to the picture

I dont think there is any limit to the age of motorcycles, and things that are under 700cc do not require an import permit...That is why you can simply send the bike and clear it

Offline dP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 4, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »

I cant remember where on the site I found it, but at the time I did find it I took a picture to text to my link in Jamaica to show the customs officer that said I was not allowed to send a 636cc motorcycle to Jamaica...

I dont think there is any limit to the age of motorcycles, and things that are under 700cc do not require an import permit...That is why you can simply send the bike and clear it

Much respect. I did a search based on your response and found the document here:
http://www.tradeboard.gov.jm/tb/doc/motor_vehicle_policy.pdf

Still seeking to confirm that query regarding age limit.
do the right thing

Offline Torque

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 5, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »
Thinking twice now about importing a bike.... the duty higher than a car

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 5, 2012, 01:48:10 AM »

That is not true depending on the engine size, duty on a car, truck, or SUV can be up too 190%
http://www.jacustoms.gov.jm/docs/MV_Rates_Effective_June_1_2012.pdf

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 5, 2012, 01:51:12 AM »

Much respect. I did a search based on your response and found the document here:
http://www.tradeboard.gov.jm/tb/doc/motor_vehicle_policy.pdf

Still seeking to confirm that query regarding age limit.

I am pretty sure there is no age limit for motorcycles

For cars, trucks, etc there is and it says on the site...I have never seen any mention of limit for bikes in my long search for info when I first imported a bike years ago.....From what I have found JA considers motorcycles recreational vehicles, they fall into the same category as sea-dos and 4 wheelers etc...And again do not require import permits prior to sending....My shipper here in Canada says bikes are easy compared to cars because of that, there is much less paper work to be filled out, and less need for brokers...

Again from customs site
Is there an age limit for the importation of motor vehicles? Yes.

For pick-ups - Six(6) years

For motor cars - Five(5) years

Trucks, Trailers and other heavy duty equipment - Ten (10) years
« Last Edit: July 5, 2012, 01:53:42 AM by JohnnyP »

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 5, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »

That is not true depending on the engine size, duty on a car, truck, or SUV can be up too 190%
if the bike cost 9000usd and its new you can expect to pay near 400,000.00 JAD in duties, crating and shipping from Miami is near another 100,000.00 JAD

Offline JohnnyP

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 5, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »

if the bike cost 9000usd and its new you can expect to pay near 400,000.00 JAD in duties, crating and shipping from Miami is near another 100,000.00 JAD

You dont have to tell me I have imported 5 bikes to Ja already, but I crate myself and shipping is only $600 Canadian dollars per bike....I cant see why shipping from Miami would be so much money, its 1/4 the distance as from here in Canada......For that reason alone it should be a lot cheaper Id think

My point is depending on the size of the vehicles engine you can pay a much higher rate to import a car/truck compared to a bike, yes the duty is high for bikes, but the overall clearance cost % can be much higher for a car/truck etc....

The 2 big charges on my imports for motorcycles was %40 for Duty and %22 for CGCT, if you look at the link I posted the rate for the smallest 1000cc engine or smaller "MOTOR CARS, STATION WAGONS, ESTATE CARS , LIMOUSINES, RANGE ROGER, SUV AND VEHICLES OF SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION" Is Duty %42 and CGCT %21.5....So even the smallest car possible is %3.5 more then a bike import, and from what I have been told the rate has gone down since my last import so a bike should be even slightly cheaper now. And as the engine size goes past 1000cc for cars the rates jump up a lot! For example a 1-2L engine would be duty %56 and %21.5 CGCT ....So bike are not more duty then cars like the person above suggested

$6000 in import fees on a $9000 bike is alot but its not more % wise then a car

Makes me wonder how I see so many nice Mercedes in JA, with the size of the engine in those car and the cost...
« Last Edit: July 6, 2012, 12:01:51 AM by JohnnyP »

Offline -Alpha-

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 6, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »

You dont have to tell me I have imported 5 bikes to Ja already, but I crate myself and shipping is only $600 Canadian dollars per bike....I cant see why shipping from Miami would be so much money, its 1/4 the distance as from here in Canada......For that reason alone it should be a lot cheaper Id think

My point is depending on the size of the vehicles engine you can pay a much higher rate to import a car/truck compared to a bike, yes the duty is high for bikes, but the overall clearance cost % can be much higher for a car/truck etc....

The 2 big charges on my imports for motorcycles was %40 for Duty and %22 for CGCT, if you look at the link I posted the rate for the smallest 1000cc engine or smaller "MOTOR CARS, STATION WAGONS, ESTATE CARS , LIMOUSINES, RANGE ROGER, SUV AND VEHICLES OF SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION" Is Duty %42 and CGCT %21.5....So even the smallest car possible is %3.5 more then a bike import, and from what I have been told the rate has gone down since my last import so a bike should be even slightly cheaper now. And as the engine size goes past 1000cc for cars the rates jump up a lot! For example a 1-2L engine would be duty %56 and %21.5 CGCT ....So bike are not more duty then cars like the person above suggested

$6000 in import fees on a $9000 bike is alot but its not more % wise then a car

Makes me wonder how I see so many nice Mercedes in JA, with the size of the engine in those car and the cost...

Offline Gbar

• How Big is Ur Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 6, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
pay less wen u have a link  [thumbsup]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 6, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
There are a number of factors, links being the first one mentioned.

There are also concessions that some people legitimately have (less duty if any in some cases).

My favourite is where you have a successful business, and purchase the car as a company vehicle, where it becomes an expense. Tax is calculated after expenses, so why not use some money there? This one can actually benefit the country if it encourages people to create and run successful businesses, creating employment for others.

Can't leave out the 'hustling', entertainment, and athletics industries either.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2012, 06:20:13 PM by rupes »

Offline dwight10

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 6, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
dem no cater for the poor inna jamaica eehno [yuk]

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 6, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
There are a number of factors, links being the first one mentioned.

There are also concessions that some people legitimately have (less duty if any in some cases).

My favourite is where you have a successful business, and purchase the car as a company vehicle, where it becomes an expense. Tax is calculated after expenses, so why not use some money there? This one can actually benefit the country if it encourages people to create and run successful businesses, creating employment for others.
next thing govt could do is reward successfull business people who hire more than 10 people for over a year with 20%  concession, at least u are rewarding produtive enterprize.

Can't leave out the 'hustling', entertainment, and athletics industries either.