Details

Author Topic: Turbo 3TC VS turbo 2TC two of toyta strongest engines  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Jahno Turbo

• View Profile
Turbo 3TC VS turbo 2TC two of toyta strongest engines
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »
Need some light to be shed on this topic Whats the deference between the two which is stronger?
apart form the 1.8cc and 1.6cc i was told they both take well to force induction   

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
Re: Turbo 3TC VS turbo 2TC two of toyta strongest engines
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Both are equally very good strong engines. The 3T has a longer stroke than its bredda, the 2T. And if what the owners of these engines say is true about the conn rods being the same length, then there is a difference in only the piston's pin height between the two engines. So, it is not recommended to use  piston set for the 2T for the 3T or vice versa.

You want force induction, well, a rebuild is a must due to age, needless to say. Stock overhaul, they will take 6~8psi boost anytime with good gasoline. More boost? Start thinking about forged this and that.

Although... in my years of Toyota-ness, I saw some of them engines take one bar boost on stock overhaul and machining the factory conn rods, replacing the conn rod bolts for new ones or just replace them altogether with ARP. Installing 0.080" oversize pistons and swapping in a turbo-friendly 272deg cam, all were running low 11s and high 10s in the quarter mile without a problem on DOT tires. Yes at one bar of boost.

Offline Jahno Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
thanks bro but i was told it can take 25 pound a boost stock

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »

Those who told you that.... did they tell you anything about like timing required with that boost on a stock 25~30 year old engine?  [noclue] Or fuel that must be used?  [ponder] Anything about a stand alone ECU?  [shutup] And logically speaking how long you think will ANY stock engine not designed for forced induction, last at that boost stock?  [idea]

My statement was about a freshly rebuilt engine with OEM parts on 15psi boost (one bar) blowing thruogh Mikuni 44 side draughts.... This year is its third year racing season like this. No problem whatsoever. And last week for the international race I saw that the owner added a used MSD6 BTM just for insurance. So again... fact, not hearsay.

Offline Jahno Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »
the 2TC i have is rebuilt and its on 5psi now

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
the 2TC i have is rebuilt and its on 5psi now

That is a good start  [thumbsup]

Offline stanis82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »

Those who told you that.... did they tell you anything about like timing required with that boost on a stock 25~30 year old engine?  [noclue] Or fuel that must be used?  [ponder] Anything about a stand alone ECU?  [shutup] And logically speaking how long you think will ANY stock engine not designed for forced induction, last at that boost stock?  [idea]

My statement was about a freshly rebuilt engine with OEM parts on 15psi boost (one bar) blowing thruogh Mikuni 44 side draughts.... This year is its third year racing season like this. No problem whatsoever. And last week for the international race I saw that the owner added a used MSD6 BTM just for insurance. So again... fact, not hearsay.

Just wakening up an old post here!

To be honest the stock internals can handle around 25psi boost but you must have at least water injection system if you running pump gas!!!!
Tuning has to be on point but I know people who have done it on 2TC engines in Hawaii for sure running 10 secs and they are carbureted !!!

Offline stanis82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
Personally I have been running boosted 2TC and 3TC engines for the past 10 years...

Here are my past builds:

Supercharged 13TU (3TC cousin)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=13tu+supercharged

Supercharged 2TC at track on 7 psi and 50 shot NOS  16.03 ET:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gkE25dQrk

Turbocharged 3TC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaX1T2bV_4

Turbocharged 3TC at track with low voltage and ignition timing issues 9 psi 13.65 ET :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHpGLygkYo