Details

Author Topic: How BBK affects your ABS  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Caldinafan

• Caldina, the wave of the future
    • View Profile
How BBK affects your ABS
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:38:43 PM »
Does upgrading to big brakes affect your ABS system? I notice that whenever I apply brake hard now and sudden ABS tend to activate and the car doesn't stop as I would want it to. This didn't happen that much with stock brakes. Someone said changing pads to less sticky ones would help because the power of the brakes is what is causing it. Is there any truth to that?
Caldina - Enough said!!

Offline scubaman

• View Profile
Re: How BBK affects your ABS
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:18:01 AM »
Remember that all the ABS is doing is detecting that the Wheel has locked up while the car is still moving. Nothing more nothing less.

With larger brakes you have more grabbing power, thus more likely that you will lock up your wheels. Another factor is tires, if your tires are NOT sticky enough, not wide enough then they will lose contact with the pavement and lock up. On a lighter car, that also will happen. Not enough downward force to keep the tires gripped to the pavement.

That also means on slippery roads you are also going to be activating the ABS more often than you should especially if you have a tendency to "mash brakes".

Bigger isnt always better especially if all you are doing is applying them to a stock car.
01 Mitsubishi Spacewagon GDI, 09 Mazda Demio, 08 Ridgeline RTL, 12 Mazda Biante

Offline THOR

• Nismo Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »
Checking u suspension and get better tyres cause it sounds like the abs working and so is the brake
patience young grasshopper...

Offline Caldinafan

• Caldina, the wave of the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
Problem solved....changed to Evo Rotors
Caldina - Enough said!!