Details

Author Topic: Rebuilding bilstein strut  (Read 3937 times)

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
    • UTASCE - Students Building the Future
Rebuilding bilstein strut
« on: July 8, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
Fellow wheelers,  [help] i looking some insight i wanna change my struts as the back ones are dead and the front set which are good are making some noises i really hate. I have on a full set of Bilstein which i cyaa source as they stop production so i was toying with buying a full new set. KIG wants to sell me full OEM set for app JA85k [blackeye] so i thought of just getting a full coilover set roughly US$900 if im gonna spend that  :-\ . Next ting the OEM with the STI parts wouldnt make any sense. [noclue]

Thing is some guys were saying the bilsteins are better if i rebuild than to go coilover so i need to find out if its done here, have you or anyone u know done it and how was the service?

Pics below of setup:

« Last Edit: July 8, 2016, 10:09:02 PM by erdnua »
PC repairs&/Home/Office Networking gimme a link!!!

Offline župra

• ░░2JZ-GTE░░
  • Global Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • TRD
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding bilstein strut
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
Rebuilt shocks are always hit or miss. With that said, $85k for a full set of genuine shocks for any modern car is reasonable.

As for spending that money to replace with OEM shocks or coilovers, well, that would be entirely up to you and the direction you want to take the car in.

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »
Rebuilt shocks are always hit or miss. With that said, $85k for a full set of genuine shocks for any modern car is reasonable.

As for spending that money to replace with OEM shocks or coilovers, well, that would be entirely up to you and the direction you want to take the car in.

hhhmmm ok, never had a reason before to change a full set but back in the days i changed the back pair of my lancer which set me back bout 20g's but that was back in 2010  ;D . It may be a good price but i see it as a waste to go back stock.

Wen u say hit and miss break dat down a lil more fi me please... I nuh know what and what i will need but i know d car wants to give me a heart attack when moving at a good speed and im to take corners etc worse on d highway ... so the direction is a more sturdy ride which i think the OEM would not offer.

Where do they offer the rebuild here, id actually want to see what that option will cost me too before i make up my mind.

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
  • TRD 4EFTE...Boost all day
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »
Hit or miss meaning they might last a year or two or they might go dead/leak in a few days. At $1500 per shock to rebuild, you decide if you want the risk...

Several persons are able to rebuild them at that price or close to it. Teddy in Mandeville comes to mind...

456-2325 if you're interested
Your tailpipe's writin' checks your engine cant cash...

Offline župra

• ░░2JZ-GTE░░
  • Global Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • TRD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »
What he said ^^^^

Rebuilt shocks last some people years, others you'd be lucky to get 2 miles. Like I said, hit or miss.

Since the US has most of the Subaru vehicles we have in our market - have you tried sourcing replacement shocks OEM online? Your setup looks like a Legacy, you can look into reputable performance oriented brands like KONI et al

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »
What he said ^^^^

Rebuilt shocks last some people years, others you'd be lucky to get 2 miles. Like I said, hit or miss.

Since the US has most of the Subaru vehicles we have in our market - have you tried sourcing replacement shocks OEM online? Your setup looks like a Legacy, you can look into reputable performance oriented brands like KONI et al

Probably the best option...

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 12:38:13 AM »
Ah i see...just wanted some clarity thanks for that.... its not a legacy its a 2010 Forester XT. tried some 08 legacy struts on it but the back ones never fit. I been checking around though (even registered on subaruforester.org) and getting some info, some of the guys there recommend i rebuild as this set of bilsteins as it is well sought after in the states but hard to find. Seeing that the rebuild is that affordable id try that option first...  [whistle] Think is the second time i hearing Teddy name so i will give him a link [thumbsup]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:27:16 AM by erdnua »

Offline scubaman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

I second that. A full set for $85000 is a good price. I don't think you could beat that price even if you imported it yourself.

That said you could try your luck at used parts like this for US$104 front right strut. or a new one for US$174  front left strut.

Rear ones are about $100 used or $112 new. Given the price difference New.

Have you physically removed each shock (seperated it from the spring) and checked them (dont check them on the car). Perhaps you may not need to replace them all. Maybe one or 2 for now especially if you on a tight budget. Not everyone can run out and buy a set.

Now without knowing your VIN do NOT assume that the part numbers I have shown in the links are correct. 2010 xt used two different part numbers. <6/2010 and >7/2010 used different part numbers.

One final note: NEVER ever let your Brake HOSE suspend the weight of your calipers. Thats a quick way to have brake hose failure.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:28:43 PM by scubaman »
01 Mitsubishi Spacewagon GDI, 09 Mazda Demio, 08 Ridgeline RTL, 12 Mazda Biante

Offline scubaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
Also what is the VE3 Part number on those shocks. I can see it in the photo but I cant read all the numbers.

Offline subbie youth

• machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:32:57 PM »
Hit or miss meaning they might last a year or two or they might go dead/leak in a few days. At $1500 per shock to rebuild, you decide if you want the risk...

Several persons are able to rebuild them at that price or close to it. Teddy in Mandeville comes to mind...

456-2325 if you're interested
Teddy rebuild some coilovers for me a few years ago for a pulsar I had. The car felt great coming back from Mandeville. The next day they went dead so as supra say, hit or miss. 
"""GQ"""

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
Also what is the VE3 Part number on those shocks. I can see it in the photo but I cant read all the numbers.

VE3-3172RJ 05E14

Have you physically removed each shock (seperated it from the spring) and checked them (dont check them on the car). Perhaps you may not need to replace them all. Maybe one or 2 for now especially if you on a tight budget. Not everyone can run out and buy a set.

One final note: NEVER ever let your Brake HOSE suspend the weight of your calipers. Thats a quick way to have brake hose failure.
No i have not tried that, problem i having i went to Mack and based on their shocks test the back ones are dead and the front at good, but the front ones are noisy so i hearing rattling sounds when i on bad roads (pet peeve, i really hate hearing sounds on d vehicle other than spool, BOV, engine revs etc  [whistle] [kick] [2thumbsup] ) so i wanna change all. Actually was thinking of taking the struts off today and bring em go mandeville (have a lil free time).

thanks for the heads up, will look out for that next time, never knew that and it makes sense dem guys skimming the disk shudda know better!

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
Are you certain its the struts making the rattling sound and not some other front end part?

Offline scubaman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
Are you certain its the struts making the rattling sound and not some other front end part?

I was about to say that.

Last time I had rattling sound it was from the stabilizer bar bushings being worn out.
and on my aunts 2010 forester, the caliper pins wear out causing the calipers to rattle.

A little info in Japanese for you on your shock. The only thing you can read are the part numbers
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:57:04 AM by scubaman »

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
I changed every single rubbers on it... Last thing is the struts themselves... Me actually deh a Teddy now still will let yall know how that goes

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »
well i never wanted to post till i had a good lil run..well went home to my country bush and had no net, not even phone service [veryangry] [ranting].

anyways back to the matter at hand, so i went to Teddy he did the rebuild, he explained the bilsteins are better for rebuilding so he did just that took me about 4 hours to pull down and rebuild all four. I decided to just lower the car instead as the back struts are adjustable so he lowered the back and put on a set of lowered springs on the front, results in pic below:
the after and before  ::) [love]

I am also happy to report the rattling sound is gone!!!!! [boxing] Teddy said its the rubber in the shocks that was worn so he replaced same and i good.

One issue i have now, apparently the 50lbs lowered springs he has is too weak so i bottoming out as my regular shocks too long. I actually need some 55lbs or if anybody has links to some STI ones they can link me up with

Offline župra

• ░░2JZ-GTE░░
  • Global Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • TRD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
Keep us updated....

Offline erdnua

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 08:40:31 AM »
some more pics of what was done:

Offline RoN-RiC

• KiDz oN ThE BlOcK!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
this post is exactly what i needed!!!
RoN-RiC
Single Dingle 4G18, Single Dingle L13A, Single Sprocket 4afe