Details

Author Topic: How to start motorcycling?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Matt255

• View Profile
How to start motorcycling?
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
I would love to start riding but i dont know where to start. Can someone give me a location or a number of where i can learn to ride bikes? Also what would you guys suggest as a good bike for a beginner and where can i get it?

Offline tango

• Ad Agendum Semper Perati
    • View Profile
Re: How to start motorcycling?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
Firstly, let me welcome you. You've taken the first and most important step, which is to seek help. Far too many people try to get their hands on a friend's bike and hope for the best because of the apparent similarity between motorcycles and bicycles. After all...if you can ride a bicycle you can ride a motorcycle. Right? Wrong. The first thing to appreciate is that bicycles and motorcycles are nothing alike. Approach the motorcycle like that and you will be doing yourself the biggest favour. Indirect proof of this is that Nicky Hayden was killed while riding a bicycle...not while riding a motorcycle, the most "dangerous" machine man has ever built...but we already know that "dem nuh done mek" so that description may not be quite accurate either. Anyway, I digress.

Where do you start? I would say the most cost effective way to start is to head to YouTube. Go there and look at a few channels associated with riding. Watch a few tutorials and by all means watch a few crash videos. Not knowing what a bike (or its rider) looks like when things going wrong is not going to prevent you from having an accident. Embrace the good and the bad of it all and maybe you can come away better informed about if this is for you. Of course, you will also want to go through the posts here as well. Many, if not all, of your questions have already been asked and answered in previous posts.

Can someone give me a location or a number of where i can learn to ride bikes?

You asked for instructors. The most recent posts say that Cutter (404-6787) and Jordan (316-0151) are available. I don't know if those numbers are still good but it's worth a shot to try.

Also what would you guys suggest as a good bike for a beginner and where can i get it?

I don't think you necessarily have to worry about that just yet, but if you have to get a bike right now, I would say you can safely start with something like one of those Chinese "150s". They're disposable but parts are easy to find and fixing them (and fix them you will) teaches a lot about the workings of motorcycles that can be fun and cost effective if you do the work yourself. If you are looking for a bit more quality (read that as more cost) you can go with a 250 from the major Japanese. The Yamaha FZ16 is a wonderful bike. I had one and it was an absolute gem. It's a 160cc but it runs just fine on the highway and around town. It is perhaps the sexiest of the entry level bikes out there. Anything that bearers generally use will be a good place to start. There are those who say you should skip those entirely and just get a 600 and be done with it. I have a friend who learnt to ride at a riding school and then a few weeks later he took delivery of his Suzuki GSXR1000. He's been doing very well. But you're not him and he's not you. Everybody is different. You can equally be killed on a 150 as you can on a 1000. At the end of the day it will be up to you to decide, but I would recommend you go with the smaller bikes purely from a cost and knowledge perspective.

I hope that helped you a bit. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Bless!

Offline Matt255

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Thank you for the advice and the numbers, i will try to contact them during the summer. In terms of a first bike i was looking for a 250 or a 300 but it has been very difficult to find them. Is it possible if you could advice me on where to find them because i would like to know the cost so i know how much and how long i have to save to get one.

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
^^ Depending on the year, you will be looking to spend at least $250k for a circa 2007-2009 Japanese 250cc, read Ninja 250. You could also try a CB250 Honda (Twister?).

Like tango said, starting on a cheap Chinese 150 - a yeng yeng - can be easy on the pocket. You may only need it for a few weeks to get up to speed with street riding. Tango didn't mention, but they are really sweet in peak hour traffic - very easy to manoeuvre. By the time you get the mechanics of riding, you won't drop your 250 Ninja so easily.

All the best.

Hailings, tango.  [drunk]
RIP Alexander "Alex" Hue; 1996-2014

Offline tango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
You're going to have a bit of a problem finding a 250 if you're looking for a sportbike, to be honest. If you're after a street fighter like a Twister you will have much better luck. As far as sporbikes are concerned, this is my thought: they are poor choices to learn on and certainly to do the endorsement test with. They are not as manoeuvrable as the street fighter normally will be. I believe it is possible to learn on a sportbike, but don't stress yourself if you don't have to. Most people in Jamaica really don't bother with 250s or 300s because Jamaican economics doesn't favour stepping stone bikes. Most people will just get the 600 version (Ninja, CBR, YZF, GSXR) and be done with it. That means finding a used one is difficult. But obviously if you plan to buy overseas and import it that's not an issue. 250 deh ah farrin fi stone dog! So that would be the very best option. If you can stomach what it will take, buying in the US is a very good option. Have a look at craigslist.com to see what these bikes are commanding in price. Under US$2k should reveal lots of cruisers, nakeds, and the like. Sportbikes tend to be a bit more costly. Tax season in the US has recently closed so a lot of the bikes have been sold so pickings are a bit slim right now, but should pick up later in the summer.

Hailings, tango.  [drunk]

Rupes! Blessings my brother...it's been way too long. I'm still on my way to my next bike, but you know how it goes when you're saving bike money in a "savings pan" made out of a cookie jar! Baby steps, pardie!

Offline DeB0: SHIFT_Z

• 13.14sec 1/4 Mile (N/A); 1:35.23 Dover (599CC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Thank you for the advice and the numbers, i will try to contact them during the summer. In terms of a first bike i was looking for a 250 or a 300 but it has been very difficult to find them. Is it possible if you could advice me on where to find them because i would like to know the cost so i know how much and how long i have to save to get one.

Not sure whats your purpose of riding or your age, but if its for sheer recreation, consider getting a track bike and staying away from road riding... jamaica is not really the safest place for road riding and there are two race tracks which are pretty much available for your convenience. even navigating traffic as mentioned above could be an avoidable death sentence...

(just giving you a fullsome perspective)
shift_s13c11z33k8

Offline tredoggg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
Good move ... Link a trainer like cutter ... and set up some riding lessons

Offline tango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2017, 05:12:29 AM »

Not sure whats your purpose of riding or your age, but if its for sheer recreation, consider getting a track bike and staying away from road riding... jamaica is not really the safest place for road riding and there are two race tracks which are pretty much available for your convenience. even navigating traffic as mentioned above could be an avoidable death sentence...

(just giving you a fullsome perspective)

I can endorse you considering every post and every statement that carries this perspective. These will be your daily companion no matter what you do or where you live. I've lived in three countries in my life and thus far none of them are "safe" for motorcycle riding. I could argue that aggressiveness and danger exists on every road or whether you are operating a car, a motorcycle, or a nuclear reactor. I could turn this post into a campaign for safety and all that tree hugging jazz, but it makes no sense. Several posts already tacle that animal (with almost no appreciable change in opinion). Still, I never rode for pleasure (except when three of us made that ride to Port Royal and a wasp got under my helmet). I've always ridden to get from A to B to A efficiently. A to B to C to A was even more so. The risk, like the struggle, is real.

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 4, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
^^ Fastest removal of a secured helmet ever... with that wasp. [rofl][rofl][rofl]
RIP Alexander "Alex" Hue; 1996-2014

Offline tango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:32 PM »
^^ Fastest removal of a secured helmet ever... with that wasp. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Mi seh! Likkle most mi draw di chin strap through my damn skull!