Details

Author Topic: Toyota we Need a return to performance Icons  (Read 362862 times)

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
  • TRD 4EFTE...Boost all day
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
Re: Toyota we Need a return to performance Icons
« Reply #3450 on: September 10, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
Progress [thumbsup]
Your tailpipe's writin' checks your engine cant cash...

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 12, 2016, 07:59:08 AM »
Most of us gearheads overhere are chanting the same thing since the prototype was first announced: no straight six no care!! But now there are some who say that if it comes solely with paddle shifters, no care!!!

I guess nowadays we all anxiously want the Supra back, too much taunting going on. With some form of hi performance turbo 6 platform but the manually shifted traditional gearbox SHOULD remain..........  [ponder] [worried]

Offline acro

• View Profile
    • http://npoforlife.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3452 on: September 12, 2016, 09:19:39 AM »
I hope it has a manual option. Also not too enthused by hybrids because of the added weight so hopefully it doesn't have it. It's bound to have turbos though. No chance it will be produced without one
Used xbox games call of duty black ops and just dance vol 3
Pm me for details

Offline C9H13NO3

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • Adrenaline_Rush
    • View Profile
    • A3 Automotive
« Reply #3453 on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:18 PM »
"Me dicen el Matador, me andan buscando..."

Offline Max-bzg

• Same Sh*t Different Day.....but giving thanks.
    • View Profile
    • cardomain.com
« Reply #3454 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:49 AM »
I trust Akio Toyoda will green light this one and lock the accountants in the closet until launch. Less compromise is design and more commitment to making a car that can once again inspire the masses and start a movement.  The FT86 has rekindled the passion at the entry level, now give something to celebrate in the big boy's league (NSX, Skyline,  etc. )

P.s. and for God's sake please give a manual option....we know the efficiency and speed of a single or dual clutch system but. Just for involvement and the art of shifting give us a stick option .lol

Can you feel my need for speed?

Offline C9H13NO3

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • Adrenaline_Rush
    • View Profile
    • A3 Automotive
« Reply #3455 on: November 12, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
More Spy Video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85qbZZbaULE

Rumor has it that production of both this and BMW's version would be carried out by Magna Steyr in Austria (They currently build the Mini Paceman, Mercedes G Class and previously manufactured the Mercedes SLS AMG and Aston Martin Rapide).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:27:16 AM by C9H13NO3 »

Offline C9H13NO3

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • Adrenaline_Rush
    • View Profile
    • A3 Automotive
« Reply #3456 on: November 12, 2016, 07:36:57 AM »
On The Lexus Side of things....

One of the highlights of the customized Lexus LC 500 at SEMA was the engine modifications done by DSPORT — here’s a video detailing the changes needed to increase displacement and improve the power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSYqadndVs

With the transformation from a 5.0L to a 5.6L V8, the 2UR-GSE engine will now be able to handle more than twice the power output — horsepower was increased from 467hp to 525hp and torque jump from 391 lb.-ft. to 440 lb.-ft.
The modified engine will be installed into the LC 500 once the SEMA show has concluded.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/11/03/video-watch-the-lexus-lc-500-engine-transformed-into-525-horsepower-monster/

World’s First Customized Lexus LC 500 on Display at SEMA Show

The world’s first customized Lexus LC 500 has been revealed at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, and it’s something special — here are the first photos, try not to drool:

Built by Beyond Marketing, the LC 500 is wrapped in Avery Dennison Gloss Yellow and outfitted with a custom body kit by Artisan Spirits and height-adjustable springs from KW Suspension. The wheels are 22” HRE P101 rims with Pirelli P Zero Nero Tires, finished off with Brembo brakes in a custom caliper color.

Capping off the customized LC 500 are some major changes to the 5.0L V8 engine, with displacement increased to 5.6L and horsepower boosted to 525 — here are some technical details from the Lexus press release:

For the modified LC 500, Club DSPORT increased the displacement to 5.6-L, and increased the cylinder bore to 99.5mm (as compared to 94mm) for 525 horsepower. Custom Moly-2000 Amphibian Sleeves from LA Sleeve were used to increase the bore size while custom CP Pistons and Carrillo connecting rods were engineered to perform up to 9,000rpm.

The design, machining and assembly of the engine was done in-house at Club DSPORT’s engine development facility. The work was performed by Magnus Ohlaker, who has 20 years of experience building championship winning F1 and Indycar engines. While not exploited at this juncture, the power handling capabilities of the 2UR-GSE engine have been more than doubled.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/11/01/worlds-first-customized-lexus-lc-500-on-display-at-sema-show/

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: November 12, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
^^ I give it the stamp of approval. [thumbsup]
— RIP Alexander "Alex" Hue; 1996-2014

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #3458 on: November 12, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
^^ I give it the stamp of approval. [thumbsup]

Its very nice  [2thumbsup]

Offline Max-bzg

• View Profile
    • cardomain.com
« Reply #3459 on: May 31, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »
I love this design, Lexus has been pushing the design envelope. The performance in this particular Lexus model is competitive for the segment. Lexus is on the right track. Aikido has given us something worth cheering for. Well done.

Offline Raptor X

• Expect The Unexpected!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: June 6, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »
New Supra had better be as good as the GTR. Make it lighter, please. So even if it's less powerful, it can still compete.
Sen on no heng on!

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: June 8, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
New Supra had better be as good as the GTR. Make it lighter, please. So even if it's less powerful, it can still compete.

I don't think the 2 cars will ever compete. [refuse] "Godzilla" will always be in a different category.

The reason the Supra couldn't beat the GTR (in the typical performance tests) was never due to a lack of power, or an excess of weight. It was because the (heavier) GTR had AWD, and the Supra didn't. Making the new Supra lighter is a given (it doesn't have an AWD drivetrain), but sending more power to the rear wheels won't help it to compete.

Offline Max-bzg

• View Profile
    • cardomain.com
« Reply #3462 on: July 27, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
Hey guys I started this thread several years ago and I truly am amazed that it has garnered so much support. Despite the dark years when there were very few reasons to celebrate the brand and what it stood for within the performance circles. While we still have a long way to go I think the company is on the right track. Akido has provided the visionary leadership and now Toyota is being once again mentioned as a brand enthusiast can identify with.

So I took the opportunity to purchase a BRZ.....GT86/FRS  [cheeky] same car. Lol It truly is fantastic. Not the quickest car I have owned but truly entertaining to drive. Really satisfied with the purchase. Deep down I would have preferred getting the GT86 for the history of it but hell I was always a Subaru fan too. A big part of the decision to purchase the Subaru was the standard kit was better. Looked at a TRD version of the Car and it was way more expensive.

But it is a hoot to drive if driving pleasure is what you value most. A truly well balanced chassis and a rev happy engine ( all be it could use around 40hp more).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:06:17 PM by Max-bzg »

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #3463 on: July 28, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »
Congrats on the purchase, bro. Enjoy it! [thumbsup]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: August 29, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
Hey guys I started this thread several years ago and I truly am amazed that it has garnered so much support. ...
But it is a hoot to drive if driving pleasure is what you value most. A truly well balanced chassis and a rev happy engine ( all be it could use around 40hp more).

Welcome back, Max-bzg. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Congrats on the purchase as well. I think generally I share the sentiment that Toyota is a much improved brand compared to 10 years ago (time flies). A part of me still likes to think we had (a little)  something to do with it.

Best wishes.

Offline vtecamz

• View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: August 29, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
Finally found a Toyota worth buying a 2012 crown majesta, let's just say I'm king of the streets again [bb]

Offline vtecamz

• View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
Hey guys I started this thread several years ago and I truly am amazed that it has garnered so much support. Despite the dark years when there were very few reasons to celebrate the brand and what it stood for within the performance circles. While we still have a long way to go I think the company is on the right track. Akido has provided the visionary leadership and now Toyota is being once again mentioned as a brand enthusiast can identify with.

So I took the opportunity to purchase a BRZ.....GT86/FRS  [cheeky] same car. Lol It truly is fantastic. Not the quickest car I have owned but truly entertaining to drive. Really satisfied with the purchase. Deep down I would have preferred getting the GT86 for the history of it but hell I was always a Subaru fan too. A big part of the decision to purchase the Subaru was the standard kit was better. Looked at a TRD version of the Car and it was way more expensive.

Considered one of these, the size was the deciding factor for me, but even 40 more hp couldn't save you from the crown lol

Offline hkpm80

• View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: August 30, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
Finally found a Toyota worth buying a 2012 crown majesta, let's just say I'm king of the streets again [bb]

4.3L or 4.6L

Offline cscarlett2012

• View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: August 30, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »

Offline vtecamz

• View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: August 30, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »

4.3L or 4.6L

Was pretty lazy when I just got it, but one week of slight mods and attention it's a totally different car

Offline vtecamz

• View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 9, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
Well a week and a half later I now need to demod it as it's too fast now... Lol

Offline vtecamz

• View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
What type o mods were done and which ones you taking off?

Well first I added the regular ground wires I would whenever I purchase a car, that alone made eco mode less parking lot friendly, drop in a voltage stabiliser as well, nothing major

Them I went to Jamaica turbo and drop in a k and n drop in filter (big up to them)

Who tell me fi go do that

And who tell me fi go pon both toll roads back and forth a few times a week (sometimes just for fun lol) and learn my driving style, lol @ the crash detection going off everytime I run somebody off the road haha

Car start literally scare me, can buck 180 from a launch at the toll booth to the turn off to come kgn at the bridge...

Removed all the grounds and put back the stock filter inside and reset the ecu, lol it ago lazy like when I drove it off the lot, until you step in it

Still king of the streets so far, haven't bucked up anything with big boost yet though, patiently waiting with my hand on sport mode

Haha yu frig fi see mi get beat and a put back in the k and n on the Highway haha

Offline Max-bzg

• View Profile
    • cardomain.com
« Reply #3472 on: December 6, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
Rupes,

Our discussions on the need for an injection of performance  into the brand really kept me going during those dark days. Lol
The new Lexus LC is a truly amazing design study. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

I got the chance to get some seat time in a Tesla . I can't help but think that electric cars may be the next frontier re achieving  incredible performance or at least hybrids. The instant torque is insane.  What are you thoughts?

Offline R-Tech [???]

• Sponsoring The Pepperist soon, check us on fb
    • View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #3473 on: December 6, 2017, 07:01:56 PM »
Ever seen a Toyota iQ? [wacko] that'd be a good platform, especially the diesel ones
"Blessed be the one who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the sinful's way, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-Psalm 1 vs: 1 STRICTLY DIESEL!!!

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: December 14, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
Ever seen a Toyota iQ? [wacko] that'd be a good platform, especially the diesel ones

I ..... may concurr with that statement.

Offline GinoX

• View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
Or the chiney knock off

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #3476 on: December 14, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
 [wave] At least toyota back in wrc  [wave]
"Blessed be the one who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the sinful's way, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-Psalm 1 vs: 1 STRICTLY DIESEL!!!

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: March 3, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
Rupes,

Our discussions on the need for an injection of performance  into the brand really kept me going during those dark days. Lol
The new Lexus LC is a truly amazing design study. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

I got the chance to get some seat time in a Tesla . I can't help but think that electric cars may be the next frontier re achieving  incredible performance or at least hybrids. The instant torque is insane.  What are you thoughts?

Guess who's been scarce on the forums.

Regrettably, I have to agree.

Battery technology is improving, and the 2 frontiers are weight reduction (maybe size reduction too), and increased range.

It is regrettable because combustion engines are more sensual in their performance delivery. But when electric performance exceeds combustion engine performance, are we really going to fight it? I think not.

Offline C9H13NO3

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • Adrenaline_Rush
    • View Profile
    • A3 Automotive
« Reply #3478 on: March 6, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
 [love] Bae is back.  [wave] [wave]

Offline TundaBOLT...4GRacing.....

• Extreme Member
  • Life is short n you don't get repeats so LIVE IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: March 6, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
Bout damn time
4G 4 EVA !!!!
470-8637

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #3480 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »
 [wave] Toyota [wave]

Offline C9H13NO3

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • Adrenaline_Rush
    • View Profile
    • A3 Automotive
« Reply #3481 on: July 18, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »
They have to change because a manufacturing company has to always move forward to the latest technology no matter what. Having old technology in the engines does not look good.
I mean there is no point in keeping with an iron engine (for example) and is not a diesel truck you running  [laugh].. Have to move with the times Or you are going to get left behind [nod]. I don't even see what advantage and iron engine has over an alloy one nowadays  [ponder].. not worth it.
You guys are just too sentimental!

For instance head swaps. There is no point making new heads (for brand new engines), that can fit on old engines UNLESS the old design had an extremely good jacket design the needs no upgrading (which is very unlikely). BMW for instance... Every new generation of engine they have found a better way of routing the galleries, water jackets, timing chain slot etc. It's just an indication that the company is not resting on it laurels, everything can and must be advanced. In fact you can never swap heads from a new gen to and old generation BMW engine. The block is bit different philosophy though, the only thing that stays the same are main bearings diameter and bore spacing so you can swap cranks, but that is inconsequential when you think of performance. So I think any and all features that affect the performance and reliability of any engine should be advanced even if it means the new parts are not revers compatible.

Exactly my point. However, you used a slightly poor example. Iron does still have better strength and anti-warping characteristics. However, Newer technology developments, such as the use of lightweight CGI (Compact graphite iron) takes iron technology to the next step. It is usually used only in diesel engines though, where a far stronger block is necessary. For petrol, aluminum metal matrix blocks/ aluminum tungsten are excellent strong enough, lightweight solutions, especially with steel cylinder liners.

Rumor has it that the A90/MKV Supra will use a bespoke iron (CGI) block derivative of BMW's B58 6 Cylinder.  [thumbsup]

Offline Max-bzg

• View Profile
    • cardomain.com
« Reply #3482 on: July 22, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »
The Supra cometh, behold it cometh.....about wretched time. Lol

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #3483 on: September 8, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
The Supra cometh, behold it cometh.....about wretched time. Lol
[wave] should be interesting  [wave]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: November 30, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
I just read a Car & Driver article where they test drive the New Supra.

Rumor has it that the A90/MKV Supra will use a bespoke iron (CGI) block derivative of BMW's B58 6 Cylinder.  [thumbsup]

I'm not sure about the make-up of the block, etc., but the article did basically compare the car to the BMW Z4, confirming your statement about it being a BMW engine. I think the cars will share And that is what leaves me worried. It assures me of the power delivery and handling/balance, but it doesn't reassure me of how reliable it will be. BMW's aren't exactly known for that. 

Nice that they are keeping it straight-6.

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #3485 on: December 1, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »
[off] But Rupes...

What a gwaan fi di bike dem? [ponder]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: December 1, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
[off] But Rupes...

What a gwaan fi di bike dem? [ponder]

Oh... When Photobucket decided to screw over their users, my pictures wouldn't display any longer. As you know, a build thread requires the use of pictures, so that cramped my style. I also got super busy at work - as if I wasn't busy enough already - so that put a big damper on the katana build.

In the meantime however, I got a 2010 Ninja ZX6R. I still need to sort out the paperwork on that, but I have taken it for the occasional 'test' ride. Amazingly quick bike, especially compared to the katana.

I miss riding the katana though, and she's a bit neglected now, so I'm going to see if I restart my build early next year.

Like you say though, it's off-topic. So more on that elsewhere. [2thumbsup]

Offline Jezza

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • JW.org
« Reply #3487 on: December 1, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Kool bro. Looking forward to the update [thumbsup]

Offline rupes

• View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: December 10, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
Kool bro. Looking forward to the update [thumbsup]

[2thumbsup]