Details

Author Topic: CUTTING SPRINGS  (Read 121537 times)

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
CUTTING SPRINGS
« on: April 4, 2006, 11:41:09 PM »
guys i hear seh cuttin ur springs gives u a bad ride xeen. suh needless to say if u goin cut u springs in half den ur car goin ride crappy. but wat if ur delicate a cut off only like one coil for a slight drop. is it gonna affect ur ride that badly?
drive it like u stole it...

Offline ASHI

• View Profile
Re: CUTTING SPRINGS
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
i was told that its only bad it heat is applied to spring during cutting, alters the spring constant or something like that not too sure bout that though

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2006, 11:47:04 PM »
hmmmm. i see. anybody that has done this? or know of anyone?

rotary_reborn

« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »
When springs are engineered, they are designed for a certain spring ratio for a given ride height. Cuttting springs mess up ur spring rate hence the reason for the harsh ride. The next thing is that it will be virtually impossible to cut each spring so that they will have equal spring rates. DO NOT DO THIS. buy the kit with the ride height and quality u want and do ur research into spring rates etc, another option u can try is to buy one of those tein setups. This is the best but most EXPENSIVE option. They are cool since with these setups u can adjust the ride height, spring rates, etc. Suspension and brakes are the two things you should NEVER be cheap with trust me.

Leave it stock if until u can afford to buy quality. thats my motto

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2006, 11:55:52 PM »
bwoy it sound like i better leave the springs dem till i can afford new ones den.  :'( haffi go play lotto

Offline ASHI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2006, 11:59:54 PM »
When springs are engineered, they are designed for a certain spring ratio for a given ride height. Cuttting springs mess up ur spring rate hence the reason for the harsh ride.
 [\quote]

i dont think the spring constant is not determined by height i think it more have to do with how tightly wound the spring is but i could be wrong

i would however advice against cutting the springs, much safer to save and buy  a set

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2006, 12:00:17 AM »
one more question xeen. sumn i have been wonderin about. wen u buy shocks, u get the shocks and springs xeen. is it possible however for your springs to need replacement and your shocks be ok? or vise vera? If this is possible, wat if your shocks are done but u have new springs on them, will this give u a level ride height?

rotary_reborn

« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »
The point i was trying to make is that the spring is engineered and tested for a precise ride height and spring rate. Altering it slightly will greatly distort the springs performance. ITs just like drilling ur stock rotors. BBBADDDD IIDDDEEEAAA

I had a friend that had done it, couldnt drive the car. As him start go faster the car bounce like a basketball. In cornering [help]

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2006, 12:11:02 AM »
yeah man i understand wat u sayin u nuh. i jus wanna know wat if u have perfectly new springs on dead shocks, if that will affect ride height

Offline WILDCAT

• WJ Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2006, 06:40:57 AM »
yeah man i understand wat u sayin u nuh. i jus wanna know wat if u have perfectly new springs on dead shocks, if that will affect ride height

no it will not ..... it will just give a jarring ride...a bottom out alot

Offline PhantomSunny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2006, 07:51:53 AM »
one more question xeen. sumn i have been wonderin about. wen u buy shocks, u get the shocks and springs xeen. is it possible however for your springs to need replacement and your shocks be ok? or vise vera? If this is possible, wat if your shocks are done but u have new springs on them, will this give u a level ride height?

Depending on how badly worn they are yes they will affect ride height. And yes they can go bad independently of each other.  The main offender is usually the strut/shocks but spring can get weak or break. Unless you are buying really high end stuff or maybe like a coil over system you do not get springs with struts/shocks...usually you buy them as seperate items.
I use more torque to tighten my lug nuts than what Honda engines put to their wheels.

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
aite ppls thanks for the info.

Offline OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 6, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
I have on some cut springs on my integra. Cut some accord springs on the front and some integras on the back. Did a 4 inches around drop. No one absolutely no one ever complained about the ride, in fact everyone who stepped in my car are usually surprised when I tell them I have on cut springs. What I was experimenting on was to get some higher rated springs to put on the front (accord springs) since the majority of the weight is on the front. I think it did the trick.
wars come and go but my soldier remains eternal.

Offline CONTRABAND

• !!!!!!!ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 6, 2006, 10:19:28 PM »
I have on some cut springs on my integra. Cut some accord springs on the front and some integras on the back. Did a 4 inches around drop. No one absolutely no one ever complained about the ride, in fact everyone who stepped in my car are usually surprised when I tell them I have on cut springs. What I was experimenting on was to get some higher rated springs to put on the front (accord springs) since the majority of the weight is on the front. I think it did the trick.

This application has proven better than just cutting your stock springs.I can attest to that as i have done same b 4 [wave]
Kenny

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 6, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »
well by the rear of my car kinda lower than the front suh i was think of cutting a single coil off the front to make it all level again.....not sure wat ill do. but the look of a higher front just peeves me.  [wallbash]

rotary_reborn

« Reply #15 on: April 6, 2006, 11:31:12 PM »
Well i guess everyone requires a different level of proformance. As for me cutting springs is a big NO NO. I need stiffer springs to improve my cornering ability, I dont care about how the car looks I just want to improve the performance

Offline shift_of_legend (GARD)

• Extreme Member
  • Light weight+PowR+Traction = CARnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 6, 2006, 11:35:26 PM »
I hear integra coilovers can be modified to fit sunnys.

Any one here tried it?  Because I found some coilovers for a good price that fit integras and they have the exact spring rate I need.

Offline Kaze

• Toll Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 7, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »
guys i hear seh cuttin ur springs gives u a bad ride xeen. suh needless to say if u goin cut u springs in half den ur car goin ride crappy. but wat if ur delicate a cut off only like one coil for a slight drop. is it gonna affect ur ride that badly?

DONT CUT IT YOUTH.
First things first.
A 1 Rule

The higher a car is the Lower the Spring Rate
when you cut Coils off your Spring you make the Car lower on the SAME spring Rate.
Hence Stock shocks are made for comfort so they dipp very far to absorb shock.

if the car goes lower on  weak Spring rate the suspention travel will be limited and the car will BOTTOM out

i did it and it LOOKS SEXY as hell but when yu gonna drop in a ordinary drainage and go AIR BORN
that crap need correction
TOLL BOYZ
The art of High Speed Racing

Offline Kaze

• Toll Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 7, 2006, 12:56:39 PM »
know whats worst?
i asked for this same info, and was told the same thing....and still went and cut my springs.
my we allways have to try crap when others already did it and it nuh work?

Buy lowering springs
Low Springs with High Spring rate.
TOLL BOYZ
The art of High Speed Racing

Offline WILDCAT

• WJ Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 7, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »
know whats worst?
i asked for this same info, and was told the same thing....and still went and cut my springs.
my we allways have to try mess when others already did it and it nuh work?

Buy lowering springs
Low Springs with High Spring rate.

Well said.....

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 7, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »
respec kaze. a jus tru me impatient still. ill wait till i can afford the lowering springs an cop dem.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2006, 01:35:23 PM by rpm »

Supe

« Reply #21 on: April 7, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
i cut my springs (cold cut) with no problems 8) its the method of cutting that ruins them...

Offline ASHI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 7, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »
i cut my springs (cold cut) with no problems 8) its the method of cutting that ruins them...

thats what i was trying to say earlier

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 7, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
xeen supe, well me a go check it out still. if i can verify dat a cold cut is ok den i might consider it.

rotary_reborn

« Reply #24 on: April 7, 2006, 11:53:50 PM »
To quote another wheeler "Dont force the fit, get the kit" [nod]

Offline SoLoStaR

• Thankin' Jah for mercies great & small
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 8, 2006, 03:03:45 AM »

Expected better from you supe' but to each his own. Never cut the stock springs that came with the car. Even if you can guarantee that the springs are cut exactly the same you change the spring rate and hence change its oscillating characteristics. The spring becomes unpredictable and weaker. Hence you've got a weaker suspension and the unpredictability factor. I've seen and heard of cut springs fallin out of the spring chair because the diameter of the spring was too small. Also a lot of people upgrade only one part of the suspension. Suspension work should be carefully thought out and upgrading with performance parts matched with alignment after fitment of said parts. Or...

go ahead and cut them and drive pon the north coast and you'll see how fast you regret it.
Yesterday teaches you how to live now so that you can learn how to change tomorrow.

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »
ill jus wat till i can buy springs yah man. dat seem like the safest ting since there are so many different opinions.

rotary_reborn

« Reply #27 on: April 8, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
ill jus wat till i can buy springs yah man. dat seem like the safest ting since there are so many different opinions.

Best thing  [thumbsup]

Supe

« Reply #28 on: April 8, 2006, 07:50:31 PM »
i only cut one coil...

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
I don't think anything is worng wit hcutting one coil...that's just my personal opinion from research and the mathematics of suspension geometry and spring rates.

RPM what car do you drive?

Offline SoLoStaR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
i only cut one coil...

So did I. Bad idea. Bought lowering springs after. Not just talkin from physics. Talkin from experience and they were cut very good. Rode well for a while too and then  [sick]
Yesterday teaches you how to live now so that you can learn how to change tomorrow.

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
that's because you didn't upgrade the shocks

Offline SoLoStaR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 05:33:58 PM »
I did change the shocks and thats why I believe they rode well for a while. Under heavy braking I started getting a lot of wheel hop and things got progressively worse thereafter.

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2006, 10:08:12 PM »
I don't think anything is worng wit hcutting one coil...that's just my personal opinion from research and the mathematics of suspension geometry and spring rates.

RPM what car do you drive?
lancer gsr

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
I did change the shocks and thats why I believe they rode well for a while. Under heavy braking I started getting a lot of wheel hop and things got progressively worse thereafter.

what shocks did you get?

did you use the same shocks with the lowering springs aswell?

Offline SoLoStaR

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 09:20:19 AM »
Nope and I've been thru my fair share. Used Tokico blue inserts up front and KYB GR2's @ the back. Used the Levin strut housings in my Corolla GTi16 (AE92 FX).

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »
exactly...why didn't you upgrade teh shocks when you cut the springs?

In fact why do people never do this?

Offline DieselTrain

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »
cuz its a cheap way to lower ur car

why would you do somethin cheap then run go buy new shocks?

cutting shocks nuh mek it to me still, I did it an my head used to hit the roof [wallbash]

TEIN's the way to go [love]

Offline SoLoStaR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 03:31:39 AM »
I see where my post may have been misleading. The shocks and sturt/insert combos I mentioned were procured after I cut the springs. I actually used the slichtly larger levin springs up front then got the housings to match and then got new shocks to fill...

Offline andre|paul

• VTEC no more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »
Just do it right the first time and done. Buy a coilover set or lowering springs; and if you have dead shocks, just replace those same time too. . .don't make sense putting new lowering springs on dead shocks.
http://andrepaulphotography.com/

14.1 @100mph, 2.2 60ft

Armchair racer

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »
There's a really god article in June 2005 SportCompactCar magazine on the pros and cons of lowering your car! I wanted to scan it and post it here, but my scanner won't work!  >:( >:(

Anyway, the bottom line is while lowering your car may improve the performance through improved handling, If it's not done properly it can do more harm than good!

Improperly lowering your can can adversely affect the suspension travel, ride quality, alignment and may compromise the safety and performance of your car! like most people I would say do not cut your springs, do a lot of research before you do any modification to your vehicles,

Even if you are a ricer and put appearances first, you should never compromise the safety of your vehicle!  [ponder] [ponder]

I'm going to have to find a way to post this very good article!

rotary_reborn

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2006, 12:16:49 PM »
There's a really god article in June 2005 SportCompactCar magazine on the pros and cons of lowering your car! I wanted to scan it and post it here, but my scanner won't work!  >:( >:(

Anyway, the bottom line is while lowering your car may improve the performance through improved handling, If it's not done properly it can do more harm than good!

Improperly lowering your can can adversely affect the suspension travel, ride quality, alignment and may compromise the safety and performance of your car! like most people I would say do not cut your springs, do a lot of research before you do any modification to your vehicles,

Even if you are a ricer and put appearances first, you should never compromise the safety of your vehicle!  [ponder] [ponder]

Endorsed!

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »

me wudda love fi read it, see if u can deal wid it Armchair

Offline iclive

• VTEC IS POWER!!! M.A.D RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:xhQguGEs6B5unM:http://www.chicagoz.com/wp/images/Spoon-Sports-SW388.jpg
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2006, 01:34:24 PM »
please. jus save ur money and buy a set of lowering springs. the cut thing no work

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »
please. jus save ur money and buy a set of lowering springs. the cut thing no work

dat me seh......

Offline Nascar_Ja

• Life is one quarter mile at a time!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:16 PM »
Str8, even today i had to assist a friend of mine in getting some for his levin.

He bought it with cut springs and they feel like **censored**........
Stage 1 - Maximising the 4E-FTE

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2006, 12:01:24 AM »
All things done properly will work.  there is a good reason when a single coil cut from a spring doesn't work.  No calculation was done or measurement to find out sstock spring rate before and after, not was there any note taken of coil compression distance left after cutting.

Anyway, don't buy lowering springs or coilover sets because that will be just as bad as cut springs.  They make most progressive to fool you that it's comfortable but take them on a track and you're doomed.  Research what spring rates are best for the situation you need them for. 

Eibach springs for example are renowned for being world class lowering springs so is tein.  Their coilovers are the bomb especially since you can choose spring rates and they test spring rates for you.  But no testing goes into their lowering springs.  They sell extremely low soft springs that bottom out like crazy.  But because people think oh this is name brand they excuse the imperfections and almost pretend that they don't exist.

ou drive a lancer, I would say you need coil overs or springs with 300lb rates in front and 200lbs in back with adjustable shocks.

Never lower a car, whether by cutting or lowering springs with out changing shocks.  Any one who doesn't see the need to get new shocks after lowering their car has no clue about suspension geometric and dynamics and should never lower their car.

Further more, do not lowr your car more than an inch and a quarter if you using shocks that are the same height as your stock shocks,( which most aftermarket ones are) like kyb agx, tikico illumina etc.

eitehr get shocks from a company that makes shortened struts or make them your self but calling koni and finding out if they sell shoretened inserts and follow their instructions for building them.   

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2006, 12:02:15 AM »
As a lancer man get evo or gs shocks and springs and call it a day.

Offline rpm<4.U.2.N.V>

• eyes on the prize...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2006, 08:48:41 AM »
All things done properly will work.  there is a good reason when a single coil cut from a spring doesn't work.  No calculation was done or measurement to find out sstock spring rate before and after, not was there any note taken of coil compression distance left after cutting.

Anyway, don't buy lowering springs or coilover sets because that will be just as bad as cut springs.  They make most progressive to fool you that it's comfortable but take them on a track and you're doomed.  Research what spring rates are best for the situation you need them for. 

Eibach springs for example are renowned for being world class lowering springs so is tein.  Their coilovers are the bomb especially since you can choose spring rates and they test spring rates for you.  But no testing goes into their lowering springs.  They sell extremely low soft springs that bottom out like crazy.  But because people think oh this is name brand they excuse the imperfections and almost pretend that they don't exist.

ou drive a lancer, I would say you need coil overs or springs with 300lb rates in front and 200lbs in back with adjustable shocks.

Never lower a car, whether by cutting or lowering springs with out changing shocks.  Any one who doesn't see the need to get new shocks after lowering their car has no clue about suspension geometric and dynamics and should never lower their car.

Further more, do not lowr your car more than an inch and a quarter if you using shocks that are the same height as your stock shocks,( which most aftermarket ones are) like kyb agx, tikico illumina etc.

eitehr get shocks from a company that makes shortened struts or make them your self but calling koni and finding out if they sell shoretened inserts and follow their instructions for building them.   

respec for the info. suh it nuh mek nuh sense i buy springs alone if i doa buy buy new struts as well den.....

Armchair racer

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2006, 08:54:17 AM »

respec for the info. suh it nuh mek nuh sense i buy springs alone if i doa buy buy new struts as well den.....

in other words, it's better to buy a suspension package suited for your car and performance goal wherher you want to just drop the car for looks or you want  ride comfort over performance or straight  handling!  you got to research, and don't cut corners!