Details

Author Topic: How to cut fuel cost  (Read 15575 times)

Offline [recoil]

• Everything in moderation...including moderation!
    • View Profile
How to cut fuel cost
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:30:57 AM »
Gas prices are on the rise. Here are some tips to help you conserve gas and save money as we approach summer gas prices.

1. Keep your car tuned up. Cars in poor running condition use more gasoline.

2. Plan trips well to avoid unnecessary driving.

3. When you run your air conditioner you get much worse gas mileage. Use your air conditioner sparingly. If you have a lower setting, use it. Turn it on until the car gets cool, then turn it off and let the fan circulate the cool air. Never run your air conditioner with your windows open!

4. Keep your windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows cause additional drag and lower your gas mileage. At high speeds, an open window can use more gas than many air conditioners (especially if they are on a low setting).

5. Check your tire pressure. Over-inflated tires can actually reduce your fuel efficiency, so don't overfill.

6. If at all possible, change your work start time to avoid gridlock. Stop and go traffic hurts your gas mileage.

7. Take unneeded items out of the car. You don't need to carry two spares around with you.

8. Try not to idle your engine for long periods of time. If you are stuck in traffic and you don't think you are going to go anywhere in the next five minutes, you may want to turn your car off.

9. You no longer need to warm your car up for long periods of time, especially new cars. New cars are made to run when cold.

10. Don't travel at fast speeds in low gears unless you need the compression to slow down.

11. Try to drive the speed limit.

12. Try to accelerate slowly when leaving the stop light. It's not a competition with the driver in the lane next to you. The fastest person through the intersection just gets to spend more on gas.

13. No need to buy the highest priced gasoline. Most cars are built to run on regular unleaded. Check you owners manual or consult a mechanic. I have had many tell me that the more expensive gas is a waste of money.

14. Revving the engine needlessly wastes gas. There is no need to rev before you turn your vehicle off.

15. If at all possible, try to arrange car pools with co-workers to share the cost of commuting to work.

16. Walk, bike or run to your intended location whenever possible.

17. When the price is sky high, don't fill up. Wait for the price to go down before you fill up your tank. Filling up your tank when the price is peaking lets gas companies know that you are willing to pay ridiculous prices for gasoline.

18. And last, the biggest and most important step towards saving money on gas is always try to purchase vehicles that get good gas mileage. The difference between 20 miles-per-gallon and 40 miles-per-gallon is huge.

everything in moderation...including moderation!

Offline GR8 one

• View Profile
Re: How to cut fuel cost
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 10:35:28 AM »
how does over-filled tires reduce fuel effeciency??? [bike]

Offline sleezy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »
Tire contact to the road means resistance, the more resistance there is is the more force required for the same distance to be covered. Imagine a ball that is not fully pumped...as it rolls, it has more of the ball making contac with the ground and as such requires more force to cover the same distance a fully inflated ball would cover. .....so how it require more gas

sombody expound.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:09:06 PM by sleezy »

Offline sleezy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:07:40 PM »
same time though, u need to watch that, over inflated can make for a horrible ride (bouncy) and car is more prone to sliding than if its inflated to the tires designed air pressure.

Offline icjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
Lose weight. The heavier your car, the more energy (fuel) is required to move it, so in the words of legendary Lotus designer Colin Chapman, "just add lightness". Every ounce you lose will save money at the pumps, so throw out anything you wouldn't find on Lewis Hamilton's Formula One car: owner's manual, floor mats, loose change, cuddly toys, lipsticks, old Telegraph Motorings, nodding dogs, road atlases, blankets, wellies, "baby on board" signs, tissue boxes, cricket bats, CDs and all the junk in the boot, including the emergency petrol can; replace the jack and spare wheel with a can of emergency tyre foam. Leave the fuel tank as empty as you dare; petrol weighs about 0.74kg (1.6lb) per litre, diesel even more, so a full tank is almost as much of a burden as a hundredweight of coal. Mind you, teenage passengers are even heavier...

Let it roll. Think how difficult it is to pedal a bike with a puncture. Keep your tyres at the maximum recommended pressure and consider low-rolling resistance "eco" tyres when you need new ones. Also have the wheel alignment checked so the car runs easily straight and true.

Make it slippery. Not with baby oil, unless you love your car to an unnatural degree, but by mimimising aerodynamic drag at speed. Keep windows and the sunroof closed and open cabin air vents only to prevent drowsiness. Remove roof racks, top boxes, cycle carriers and purely cosmetic body additions with the exception of plastic hubcaps on steel wheels (except in town, where you could lose them to save more weight).

How cool is cool? Air conditioning is less costly than open windows, but it still saps power and can increase the fuel thirst of a small engine by up to 10 per cent. If already fitted you need to run it once a week to keep the system healthy, but this is Britain, not Bermuda - how cold do you need to be? If the cabin gets too hot, fit reflective film to the rear windows/sunroof and take off your hat.

Fuel's gold. You'll find the cheapest local source at www.petrolprices.com but don't use a pound's worth of fuel to reach a filling station where you can save 50p on a tankful. Avoid false economy; high-octane brews offer small efficiency gains, cheap rubbish can damage the engine. Also remember the weight issue: the less fuel you carry around the less fuel you'll use, so only buy as much as you need; the low-fuel warning light is sure to make you drive carefully anyway. Don't be fooled by products that claim to improve economy, be they magnets, magic pellets or snake oil; they don't work.

Make your own. You can run a diesel car on vegetable oil, and you can process up to 2,500 litres per year at home without attracting fuel duty. Your main difficulty might be finding a source, as commercial operations are moving in to take used oil from takeaways and restaurants.

Drive like Dan Dare. Treat your car like a spaceship. As soon as you can, accelerate smoothly and gently up to a safe, appropriate (and legal) speed and select as high a gear as possible, keeping the revs down to minimise fuel use without labouring the engine. Between short fuel burns to maintain momentum, lift off the accelerator completely, which shuts off the fuel supply. Never coast in neutral; idling uses more fuel than running in gear on a closed throttle. If you're not moving at all, switch off.

Don't use the brakes. Brakes turn fuel into waste heat and should be used as little as possible (try never on motorways). Approaching any obstruction, such as traffic lights on red (or green for a long time and likely to change), don't just drive up to it and brake; reduce your speed by lifting off the accelerator, aiming to roll to a stop at the right place. Make driving an enjoyable game of economy and accuracy, like bowls, rather than a test of nerve, like Grand Theft Auto. Advanced tuition will help you drive economically as well as safely.

Plan your journey. It has been estimated that perhaps a third of city traffic is lost or looking for somewhere to park, so plan your journey from A to Z; write a list of directions on a piece of paper and stick it in an easily visible place on your dashboard or steering wheel boss. Use motorways and free-flowing roads whenever possible; a car is most fuel-efficient at a steady speed.

Do your homework. Don't rush to replace a "thirsty" car until you've worked out the cost/benefit equation; you want to save money, not spend it. Used values are falling, and unless you're downsizing from a BMW to a banger or a motorcycle/scooter (or indeed selling up altogether and joining a car-share club) you might be better off running your current car as efficiently as possible for as long as you can. If you're changing anyway, the smallest diesel that suits your needs is probably best. The less fuel a car burns, the lower its tax-defining CO2 emissions ought to be.

Think electric? Think hard. Will you save money overall? How long do the batteries last, and what will the resale value be? Do you want or need a car with a short range? Could you make such short journeys by other means? Can you plug it into the mains without running a cable across the pavement? If not, it's a non-starter. Although not strictly relevant to running costs, spare a thought for the source of your electricity: how green is a coal/gas/nuclear-powered vehicle? Also bear in mind that vehicles classed as quadricycles don't undergo crash testing. As for hybrids, they're expensive and while they might offer fuel savings at low speeds in town, they're less economical on motorways.

Buy a Lamborghini. Supercars are hard to park, costly to repair and burn petrol like nothing else, which is why they cover fewer miles and consume less fuel overall than everyday cars. If you owned a Lambo, better still a classic, you wouldn't drive it to the supermarket and you couldn't use it for the school run. You and your children probably could live longer, healthier, richer lives by walking. And having saved enough for several tankfuls of petrol, you could go for a blast with a clear conscience, just for funů

Offline mysticvibes2013

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:08:37 AM »
Great tips [applause]

Offline Nismodfy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2016, 01:35:37 AM »
Saving fuel .... Interesting Discussion w/ Don Panoz re: DeltaWing, & Le Mans ...... https://youtu.be/SN5MKmZdbqw

Offline dary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:44:33 PM »
I know a thread must here about this, but in light of many things and even before the gas tax, does it really make a difference between 90 Octane and 87? [ponder]

Offline R-Tech [???]

• Sponsoring The Pepperist soon, check us on fb
    • View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
Wana save on fuel? Get a DIESEL [bike]
"Blessed be the one who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the sinful's way, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-Psalm 1 vs: 1 STRICTLY DIESEL!!!

Offline dary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
That may be true but not everyone can go that route. Are diesel vehicles low maintenance? Don't think so

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
That may be true but not everyone can go that route. Are diesel vehicles low maintenance? Don't think so
drive it like a gas and sure it'll cost more, they cost less to operate overtime due to lower fuel cost and less visits to the mechanic than a gasser

Diesel [kick]
"Blessed be the one who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the sinful's way, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-Psalm 1 vs: 1 STRICTLY DIESEL!!!

Offline dary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »
Heard u loud n clear [thumbsup] the modern ones are much more efficient

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 02:53:19 PM »
they cost less to operate overtime due to lower fuel cost
I disagree.  Some petrol stations inflate diesel prices higher than that of 90 octane.  A diesel's main benefit is only realised when driving at a moderate pace.   I still can't justify having to put up with the INEVITABLE sooty exhaust an the typical diesel-noise produced by even the smallest engines.   A smaller displacement petrol engine still provides more power (at the expense of a lack of torque).  It may not be a fair comparison since Diesel engines can barely revv past 5,000RPM anyway due to the heavier components.
1 3 5     For more info you can PM, or link me @ 857_1289
2 4 6 R    I believe its better to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow.  /_\  Real men use 3 pedals

Offline dary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 10:18:58 AM »
 [thumbsup] But I'm realising with my Honda right now that the ECU has been compromised and the car is burning rich. The MAP sensor is not 100% and the ignition coil needs to be changed. Those things are affecting my fuel consumption and mileage as well.

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
[thumbsup] But I'm realising with my Honda right now that the ECU has been compromised and the car is burning rich.
ECUs either work or they don't work (completely dead / fried).  Have you checked your primary and secondary oxygen sensor?   These are the first items to check when you are running rich.   What troubleshooting steps did you take to confirm that the coil needs to be changed?  I don't want you to omit any other possible culprits.   What chassis Honda are you referring to?
2 4 6 R    I believe its better to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow.  /_\  Real men use 3 pedals

Offline Dr_Drae

• "The Power of Dreams"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
[thumbsup] But I'm realising with my Honda right now that the ECU has been compromised and the car is burning rich.
ECUs either work or they don't work (completely dead / fried).  Have you checked your primary and secondary oxygen sensor?   These are the first items to check when you are running rich.   What troubleshooting steps did you take to confirm that the coil needs to be changed?  I don't want you to omit any other possible culprits.   What chassis Honda are you referring to?

That my friend is incorrect.
With power comes great responsibility. Think responsibly.

Offline dary

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
Well, the evidence has been overwhelming as it relates to the ignition coil--car having issues starting and when it does, it has problems idling at 1000rpm; the ECU has been compromised for sure and before it was parked, there were signs. The oxygen sensors haven't shown any signs of being the culprits but will provide more info as I go along and arrive at something conclusive. Respect for the other angle of approaching the problem [thumbsup]

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
they cost less to operate overtime due to lower fuel cost
I disagree.  Some petrol stations inflate diesel prices higher than that of 90 octane.  A diesel's main benefit is only realised when driving at a moderate pace.   I still can't justify having to put up with the INEVITABLE sooty exhaust an the typical diesel-noise produced by even the smallest engines.   A smaller displacement petrol engine still provides more power (at the expense of a lack of torque).  It may not be a fair comparison since Diesel engines can barely revv past 5,000RPM anyway due to the heavier components.
I rmbr ULSD cost more than 90 sometime in mobay, as you notice prices mid-island for diesel is higher becuz thats where the mining and heavy duty industry is at its peak, bt u get my point, the diesel revs low cuz it is built to last, built for efficiency and low end torque it dont need to go 8,000 or so, sooty exhaust? [noclue] idk wa u tllkin bout, if it smoke too much is a bad pump tune, dont discredit diesel, The LeMans 24Hr Enduro has been won by a diesel powered audi LMP machine couple times well since the car's inception, the R10 i think, no doubt it won cuz it spent less time refueling [winner]

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »
the diesel revs low cuz it is built to last

No. It revs low, because it really can't burn diesel any faster or more efficiently.    No matter how you look at it, diesel is still a slow burning fuel.  Within the short time that both valves are closed during the power stroke, the incomplete combustion takes place.  Manufactures rarely add rev-limiters in the ECUs anyway since they can't even rev up to 5252 RPM anyway, so they only advertise peak-torque (and cover up the HP figures).
I'm not disputing that diesels make best torque at low RPM.  My argument that the addition of the turbocharger is the only way to get a good compromise (for the TDI).   To see a sooty exhaust, just look at a truck or JUTC bus in operation.  Even your car's diesel engine once it is more than say 2 years old will produce a sooty exhaust once you rev it anywhere near its red-line.

I'm not dissing diesel as an inferior engine.  It is not the right engine to suit my daily application.

Offline scubaman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
Actually over inflated tires does save fuel at the expense of a comfy ride. This is usually 3-5 psi over the standard tire pressure.

Some car manuals now print "ECO" mode tire pressures in their manuals or on the door stickers.  The manual actually states Normal, loaded and eco pressures.

I have been doing this for years and have actually seen printed  it on cars.
01 Mitsubishi Spacewagon GDI, 09 Mazda Demio, 08 Ridgeline RTL, 12 Mazda Biante

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
the diesel revs low cuz it is built to last

No. It revs low, because it really can't burn diesel any faster or more efficiently.    No matter how you look at it, diesel is still a slow burning fuel.  Within the short time that both valves are closed during the power stroke, the incomplete combustion takes place.  Manufactures rarely add rev-limiters in the ECUs anyway since they can't even rev up to 5252 RPM anyway, so they only advertise peak-torque (and cover up the HP figures).
I'm not disputing that diesels make best torque at low RPM.  My argument that the addition of the turbocharger is the only way to get a good compromise (for the TDI).   To see a sooty exhaust, just look at a truck or JUTC bus in operation.  Even your car's diesel engine once it is more than say 2 years old will produce a sooty exhaust once you rev it anywhere near its red-line.

I'm not dissing diesel as an inferior engine.  It is not the right engine to suit my daily application.

rmbr the design of the conventional diesel engine block is not a "over bore" like a 20v  or "square" combustion chamber like the sr20 they mostly utilize a more stroke than bore design for harnessing massive torques at almost idling rpm.

In the case of the soot, breda, di pump can be giving the engine too much diesel, 3/4 the JUTC buses need fi go a soldier camp go retune, yu see the soldier dem Volvo bus smoke like JUTC? JDF soldiers care their vehicles, tune them and drive them better than the police the turbo seals can gone, do old isuzus like the bighorn smoke? Do you see amaroks and the new-ish truck smoking, no they don't as said it depends on the injector pump's tune  and the condition of the motor, soot is almost negligible with most diesel wit a good pump tune, yu na dis the diesel, bt mi see its superiority from the LeMans race and after driving one for myself, I honestly believe I can make a real high performance diesel racecar to be competitive at dover, west, shores, vernam anyweh against its gas counterparts.

One thing I like with diesel tuning, is that its simpler just beware the knock(predetonation) injection timing , the EGT and swap on a bigger turbo or put a 2nd one for more airflow. There's no MAF, MAP ntn like dat, if it have computer jus chip it and raise the boost a few psi n it shred road [kick]

Gas have it time and place still, bt once its efficiency and fuel price, Diesel is king [king] [winner]

Diesel
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:57:30 AM by R-Tech [HomyCide] »

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
You are proving my point if you are saying that the diesel engine cannot completely burn the excess fuel provided by even a defective pump.  Turning up boost in a diesel isn't a solution like a petrol engine.  There will always be a limit to which you can cover up the soot, because diesel is still a slow burning fuel.

Diesel is king due to not having to deal is knocking, MAF or MAP as you stated, so you can turn up boost as you like (but the soot will not disappear completely).

I'm now a VW-man, and yes I do see Amarok's smoking.  I know they didn't do it when new.   The only time I see folks turning down the fuel pump on a diesel is when they want to pass fitness at the examination depot (then they turn it up afterwards).

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 06:09:14 PM »
yu get what i mean though, the smoking is fuel quality and sulphur content especially if its white smoke, my wmo+gas mix hardly smoked in the urvan and bio-diesel is smokeless provided the parafin (kerosene) is mixed in the right proportion. if reducing egt is a goal increased boost might help as the diesel is based on the principle of heat of compression and is subject to both endo and exothermic reactions due to the water and oil surrounding the combustion chamber.

bt u do get what I mean and once you NEED not want proper fuel efficiency, go get a proper turbodiesel that isnt smoking like the rastas when selassie landed, it'll be a completely different driving feel and not the lazy, cackling feel associated with old thoughts of a diesel. [kick] my diesel was n/a and it didnt smoke much even on wmo (smoked more on gas station diesel) then the project got sold, nw i'm working on sumtn completely different nowadays [sneaky] wan roll out wid a real big diesel, twin turbo n sitn [bike] Gasoline would be obsolete if we as humans realized the power of diesel engines [karate]

Diesel <-- [king]
gas car <-- [stretcher]

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
Gasoline would be obsolete if we as humans realized the power of diesel engines
No, I only recognise the torque of diesel engines.  The issue with our dialogue is that you keep talking about a daily driven low-revving to get you along your daily commute from point A to B, while I'm talking about the difficulty in even making a diesel engine that can used for spirited driving (where Diesel is too slow burning to burn clean and completely.

I do agree with your point about fuel quality and the sulphur content, but my findings is that the "brand" of diesel that you buy from the pumps matter in terms of emissions.   I don't believe that they ALL get their fuel from PetroJam or even have the same formulation for added additives.

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 07:16:34 AM »
Gasoline would be obsolete if we as humans realized the power of diesel engines
No, I only recognise the torque of diesel engines.  The issue with our dialogue is that you keep talking about a daily driven low-revving to get you along your daily commute from point A to B, while I'm talking about the difficulty in even making a diesel engine that can used for spirited driving (where Diesel is too slow burning to burn clean and completely.

I do agree with your point about fuel quality and the sulphur content, but my findings is that the "brand" of diesel that you buy from the pumps matter in terms of emissions.   I don't believe that they ALL get their fuel from PetroJam or even have the same formulation for added additives.

so yu neva see police deh go buy KFC fi di whole station? [rofl] want more spirited driving than that?

The incomplete burn is something most modern common rail systems address with better nozzles and more precise mixing, the diesel "cackle" is dissapearing, smoking is dissapearing and that mindset of diesel being slow is fading away. Diesel engines work via heat of compression, so theoretically more air being in the cylinder before diesel injection should result in a more complete burn, hence turbodiesels do not smoke as much, if it still smoking up the place the injection pump is supplying too much fuel to the cylinders or you need to raise the boost until the smoking ceases

you gwine see it a different way still cuz maybe yu like a barking gas engine

Check this DMAX from team thailand out, the ECU=Shop computer dem mad up any diesel, nissan, isuzu, toyota, mitsu and japan 4/6cyl yu want more out of, note these are race applications
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-jYkEwqY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P00wzCYKvOg

Hilux and innova
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEu7tMtAPeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5sVa7MriA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsG_AbZH9gA

I gt wat yu mean tho, ur worried about when yu wana smash it and go hard, mi nu really worry bout dat, mi jus keep mi right foot a grung and spool roun [bike] besides, thread topic is "how to cut fuel cost"

[king]<---diesel
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:19:09 AM by R-Tech [HomyCide] »

Offline BiZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Good Advice

Offline R-Tech [???]

• View Profile
    • The Pepperist
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
anyone heard of the HCCI gas engines? Thats right heat of compression being used in gas engines [wave] they say the gas is injected a bit after tdc in the powerstroke as it returns to bdc and the results are astonishing. Its not that hot as yet but thats crazy [thumbsup] Check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_charge_compression_ignition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8CnYljXAS0

Offline Clutch Killer

• Upshift and go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 12:40:23 AM »
This is just a refinment of the GDI engine (in my opinion).

Offline HershallWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
This is just a refinment of the GDI engine (in my opinion) the Bathmate X40 review is the best.

Thanks very much for the tips. I spend way to much on fuel so hopefully this will help.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:11:17 AM by HershallWalker »

Offline RAE_ JZ

• Sideways or stay home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 9, 2017, 07:07:38 AM »
[bike] how to reduce fuel consumption
  • plan your trip routes and timings to reduce travel in peak traffic etc
    Maintain moderate average speed e35 to 75km/hr
    Judiciously apply throttle
    Even more Judiciously apply brake electively predicting slowdowns and stops instead reducing throttle inputs early enough

Vehicle
    If you want to go faster you need a lighter lower height  vehicle, turbodiesel well maintained . Air filter synthetic oil low sulphur 7 speed auto or dsg

[/sup]
Smoke em

Offline jimmy_basco

• View Profile
    • Jamaica Auto Classifieds
« Reply #30 on: March 6, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
 [wave] [wave]