Details

Author Topic: Can you clean an oxygen sensor!!!  (Read 22181 times)

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
Can you clean an oxygen sensor!!!
« on: October 3, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
My engine light came on the other day (k20a3 engine) and when I hooked up to the diagnostic machine it told me that I needed an oxygen sensor.  A friend told me that it can be cleaned but how do you clean an oxygen sensor!!! [noclue]
Civic & Integra Accesories... Contact RJD 867-0874
Headlights, Taillights, Springs, Lips, Camber Kits, Intake, Exhaust Etc....   MAAAAD

Offline elda1

• View Profile
Re: Can you clean an oxygen sensor!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
My engine light came on the other day (k20a3 engine) and when I hooked up to the diagnostic machine it told me that I needed an oxygen sensor.  A friend told me that it can be cleaned but how do you clean an oxygen sensor!!! [noclue]

Never tried that before but to answer your question i guess it would be the same as cleaning anything else, take it out and wipe it down.

Offline 6ixx

• NIKONIAN
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »
oxygen sensors are very sensitive devices, when they go bad you simply replace them. Silicone is what kills oxygen sensors so never use any form of silicone spray near them
Dead I am the Life....dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone......21 to win

Offline rebel$on$wheels

• "YES WE CAN"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
never tried that one before, but if you have a problem with ur o2 sensor, wouldnt it be best if you just replace it [ponder] 

Offline SR Romes - PerformanceJa.com

• http://www.facebook dot com / Performance.Jamaica
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/Performance.Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
what about using a toothbrush and brushing it with some gas oil or water.
PerformanceJa.com - Real street & track performance parts for your Nissan. Avoid the headache of importing yourself. dont pay an arm & a leg for parts. I'll  source & import your requested part.

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
gas oil is about the fastest way to kill a good o2 sensor. remember when a scanner tells you a sensor is bad (oxygen or otherwise), you need to check the circuit for that sensor before concluding that its the sensor/actuator thats bad. A loose connector will let the ecm get no feedback prompting a bad sensor(sensor) report. A good scanner will generally give you much more info on the sensor than just reporting bad O2. To properly diagnose an O2 sensor is much more complex and would take up too much space here and the first thing that anyone who can help would need to know is if its a (1) 1 wire sensor, the easiest to diagnose(2) two wire sensor(second wire is ground) (3) if its a four wire sensor, those have a heater circuit to get the vehicle in closed loop asap, and generally need a good workshop manual and a scope to properly diagnose). of course you can take a gamble and just go put in a new sensor and see what happens. Its always best to by a genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) sensor, less stress. OEM sensors are very expensive and thats why in the field a proper test is done before letting the customer spend big bucks.       

Supe

« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »

muss a nissan man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »
gas oil is about the fastest way to kill a good o2 sensor. remember when a scanner tells you a sensor is bad (oxygen or otherwise), you need to check the circuit for that sensor before concluding that its the sensor/actuator thats bad. A loose connector will let the ecm get no feedback prompting a bad sensor(sensor) report. A good scanner will generally give you much more info on the sensor than just reporting bad O2. To properly diagnose an O2 sensor is much more complex and would take up too much space here and the first thing that anyone who can help would need to know is if its a (1) 1 wire sensor, the easiest to diagnose(2) two wire sensor(second wire is ground) (3) if its a four wire sensor, those have a heater circuit to get the vehicle in closed loop asap, and generally need a good workshop manual and a scope to properly diagnose). of course you can take a gamble and just go put in a new sensor and see what happens. Its always best to by a genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) sensor, less stress. OEM sensors are very expensive and thats why in the field a proper test is done before letting the customer spend big bucks.       

Why is this so please
« Last Edit: October 4, 2008, 12:42:00 AM by SR Romes »
PerformanceJa.com - Real street & track performance parts for your Nissan. Avoid the headache of importing yourself. dont pay an arm & a leg for parts. I'll  source & import your requested part.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »

muss a nissan man

At least mi kno better than fi drive a toyota [sick] heh. you haffi gime props fi that heh? heh?  [eyebrows] [worried] [noclue] which is more than I can say for the likes of you soup. [shutup] :-\ [refuse]

nissan to the werld  [icon53] [boxing] [icon53] [wave] [thumbsup] Toyota are for girls [thumbsdown]           [dwl] [dwl] [dwl] [dwl] [dwl]

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »

Dat mi a run from, but I guess I have no choice, it cost bout US$250 to $300 as far as me know still.  Any body can get it locally for a good price let me know.
Headlights, Taillights, Springs, Lips, Camber Kits, Intake, Exhaust Etc....   MAAAAD

Offline G.R

• Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 6, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
You can do a continuity test on the connections from the sensor to The ECU with a Multimeter to make sure the connections are good.

Or buy a new one...

The Ghetto way

Use some sand paper on it, light fire underneath it blow it off.. and put it in back  [rofl]

The only better thing than a straight six is two straight sixes!—That is, a BMW V12!

Old BMW saying.

Offline BlackHatch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
tried it....doesn't work. Just buy a new one blood.

Offline rebel$on$wheels

• "YES WE CAN"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 7, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
tried it....doesn't work. Just buy a new one blood.
totally endorsed [2thumbsup]

Offline 6ixx

• NIKONIAN
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 7, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
You can do a continuity test on the connections from the sensor to The ECU with a Multimeter to make sure the connections are good.

Or buy a new one...

The Ghetto way

Use some sand paper on it, light fire underneath it blow it off.. and put it in back  [rofl]

where the hell you learn/hear dem mess from sah??.......mussi ackee tree mech dat.  [rofl]
Dead I am the Life....dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone......21 to win

Offline FortisCuore

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • FORTIS CADRE CEDRE NON POTEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
I learned that O2 sensors aren't specific,all you need to do is find another engine that uses the same O2 sensor.I found an O2 sensor for my car from a camry engine,all I had to do was cut the wire and attach it to my plug.
E-Brakin Drift Recipie  [Brake-Turn Steering-Step on clutch--Pull E-brake--Release E-brake-COunter S

Offline FortisCuore

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
Did some research,it seems all hondas use the same O2 sensor.So jus go to a junk yard and get one out of another engine, [thumbsup]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Ntt=oxygen+sensor+-+honda+k20a3&No=10&Npp=10
E-Brakin Drift Recipie  [Brake-Turn Steering-Step on clutch--Pull E-brake--Release E-brake-COunter S

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
Honda to my knowledge has used to date 3 different type sensrs(sensor) 1 wire being the earliest, then a 2 wire and then 4 wire. On the 4 wire snsr (sensor) if you some how mix up the 12v heater wire and send it to Ground (-) on the snsr YOU WILL FRY  the engine computer. When you are gambling with sensors be sure to have a spare ECM on hand as it super easy to cause very expensive damage.

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »
Did some research,it seems all hondas use the same O2 sensor.So jus go to a junk yard and get one out of another engine, [thumbsup]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Ntt=oxygen+sensor+-+honda+k20a3&No=10&Npp=10
Fortis, i was not going to comment but the research is flawed and can cause real driveability issues if followed. All oxy snsrs are not the same and that goes for all make vehicles. Up stream snsrs will have a different operating parameter  than a down stream (post Cat)sensor.   

Offline FortisCuore

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »

Fortis, i was not going to comment but the research is flawed and can cause real driveability issues if followed. All oxy snsrs are not the same and that goes for all make vehicles. Up stream snsrs will have a different operating parameter  than a down stream (post Cat)sensor.   
note taken elda  [thumbsup]

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »
I learned that O2 sensors aren't specific,all you need to do is find another engine that uses the same O2 sensor.I found an O2 sensor for my car from a camry engine,all I had to do was cut the wire and attach it to my plug.

From what I understand.... If you get one and plug it on it will remove the check engine light but you will still burn more gas than you should. Dat nuh really mek sense. I rather get the right one, I think it is a denso brand but I dont have the model number with me

Offline Splicer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 12:55:20 AM »
SR Romes 109 WHP and yuh a boast come on man. Mi a kill nissan from mi have mi swift.

Offline moorespeed

• Spoon's Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 3, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
hey dont even think of try cleaning it. i have some brand new bosh 4 wire universal for sale just$3000 cell 389-7301 or 503-2544

Offline ken

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
can any one tell me where can i get a 5 wire 02 sensor for a QG18
engine,nissan  [ponder]

Offline elda1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »
hey dont even think of try cleaning it. i have some brand new bosh 4 wire universal for sale just$3000 cell 389-7301 or 503-2544
does it have a diagram letting u know what colour wire is for the heater and signal.

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 1, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »

Did some research and was told that those dont work well with k20

Offline 3star2nr

• Maybe Im just like My father too bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 1, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »

LOL wah the point of cleanig it? as soon as the engine start i ago "dirty" again.

If its giving an error its BAD cleaning it nah go fix it just buy a new one.
Rebel Strategist

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Stars on my knees because I bow to no one\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

YOOOOOOOOOOO THE FIA LOVE MAN

Offline Jahday

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
does anybody kno where u can get cheap reliable o2 senors locally

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
does anybody kno where u can get cheap reliable o2 senors locally

No such thing  [refuse] ... trust me i know  >:(

Supe

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
BOSCH [thumbsup]

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
do u still have bosh 4 wire universal?

Offline Boost Rehearsal

• Boost From Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »
yow just soak it inna some gas  ;D ;D get a brush brush it and blow it out with a blow dryer or any blower you have any reply when its fixed [wave] [wave]

Offline niggachin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
yow just soak it inna some gas  ;D ;D get a brush brush it and blow it out with a blow dryer or any blower you have any reply when its fixed [wave] [wave]

Oh brother!!!!  A next buttu  [chairbang] [chairbang]

Offline shift_of_legend (GARD)

• Extreme Member
  • Light weight+PowR+Traction = CARnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 01:28:07 AM »
When an O2 sensor gone bad it gone bad. If you want to appease your curiosity then clean it with a foam based cleaning agent. Doubt you'll get improved results.

GT Limited

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
use water

a joke dem something deh sensitive so mind wat u using
dem thing deh measure the least resistance

Offline VWprince

• Extreme Member
  • Sorry for all in my path
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:42 AM »
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] dis explains a lot [dwl]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:50:30 AM by vteclord »

Did you notice the car said Mitsubishi on it. That\\\\\\\'s reason enough to walk away.  [cheeky]

Speed runs through my veins..... Memba dat..
L

GT Limited

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:24 AM »
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [sold]

GT Limited

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 02:42:50 AM »
use this

Offline DieselTrain

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »
k20a1 o2 sensors f/s :)

Offline shift_of_legend (GARD)

• Extreme Member
  • Light weight+PowR+Traction = CARnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
Actually a tampon works better, just dab some pee on it. Apparently the uric acid is the perfect ph to strip away the grease clogging the sensor without corroding or affecting the sensor in any negative way. (If you believe this for even a second you don't deserve to even look at cars in magazine let alone drive.)

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
Disclaimer: Please note that cleaning oxygen sensor is NOT recommended and we can't guarantee if the cleaned oxygen sensor will work; but in this article we have tried to explore alternate ways to reuse the same oxygen sensor rather than buying a new one. Weather these cleaning mechanisms work or not are up to the readers to try out and decide. So, please try the procedure at your own risk.

Cleaning oxygen sensor
By: Eric Dawson | Posted: 13th August 2008

Is it possible to clean oxygen sensors and recycle them? Though this article we have attempted to explore the possibility of cleaning oxygen sensors as an alternative to replacing them.

Oxygen sensors; located in the exhaust system of the automobiles gets exposed to fuel and other toxic gases like CO, HC and NO2. Exposure to these gases and fuel can contaminate the oxygen sensor impairing its ability to perform its functions effectively. O2 sensors can also get damaged due to oil, fuel and coolant contamination. Excessive accumulation of soot in the ceramic elements of the sensor can increase the response time and hence degrade the ability of oxygen sensor to sense oxygen effectively. Presence of lead in poor quality gasoline also reduces the life of the sensors. Likewise exposing sensors to silicones and silicates inhibits their ability to perform properly.

Since the purpose of the O2 sensor is to determine the optimal ratio of air and fuel mixture in the exhaust system of automobiles, any contamination can make the car's gas combustion engine to either run rich (with unburnt fuel) or lean (with excess oxygen). This can reduce the mileage of the automobiles. So maintaining proper health of the oxygen sensor is crucial for minimizing gas consumption in automobiles.

If contaminants do damage the oxygen sensor, the obvious thing to do is to replace them with brand new once. But many oxygen sensors; especially the wideband oxygen sensors can be expensive to replace. So, in this article we try to see an alternative way to "recycle" the oxygen sensors by cleaning them.

Determining ways to clean oxygen sensor raises a basic question: Will the cleaned oxygen sensor be any good to work properly? Since the oxygen sensor is exposed to high heat in the exhaust system to the car, the main contaminant likely to be present is a thick layer of baked carbon on the sensor tip, which doesn't dissolve easily in any solvents. So one way to clean O2 sensor with this carbon deposit is to heat the oxygen sensor tip with a blow torch (like propane). Expose the sensor tip to the torch till it's about to turn red, then dip the sensor tip quickly into water followed by cleaning the tip by blowing compressed air. This will make the carbon deposit to break free. We recommend repeating the procedure a few times until the carbon deposits are removed from the sensor tip.

Another way to clean the oxygen sensor is by using CRC brand QD electronic cleaner to remove fuel and oil contaminants. It's a special cleaner and doesn't leave any residue on drying. Keep a safe distance between the sensor and cleaner nozzle when spraying the cleaner on the sensor and wear gloves and safety goggles to prevent the cleaner from affecting your hand and eyes.

A THING THAT HAPPENS ONCE WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. A THING THAT HAPPENS TWICE WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN A THIRD TIME...

Offline --

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
Oxygen Sensor Cleaning: Does it Work?

An oxygen sensor in vehicles running under normal driving and operating conditions, should last 100,000 to 150,000 miles. When an oxygen sensor is old or not working properly because of damage or malfunctioning, then it can affect your car's performance.

Finding out if your car oxygen sensor is not working properly is as easy as observing how your car has been running lately. If your car has been using up too much gas, and a tune-up does not remedy the situation, then this brings up the possibility of a faulty oxygen sensor. Most car computers issue certain codes pertaining to the oxygen sensor and how it is functioning. If this happens, then it is important to first check and test your oxygen sensor and its wiring.

When the oxygen sensor is functioning badly, it will reflect on the engine performance of your car. The engine may show signs of power loss, and will respond slower than usual as compared to when it is performing at an optimum level. A study on vehicles showed that 70 percent of vehicles that fail their emissions test are in dire need of a new oxygen sensor. The performance of an oxygen sensor can also be checked by doing a scan check. A bad oxygen sensor will come up with a fault code and it may switch on the “check engine” light.

Many car experts recommend that you change your oxygen sensor when it starts to fail, malfunction or starts to act sluggish. Not many car enthusiasts recommend that you clean your oxygen sensor as this can be time-consuming and complicated. What's more, if it is not done right, it may function worse than it already was.

Unfortunately, an oxygen sensor can be quite costly to replace. This may cost you from $40 up to $200 depending on how many oxygen sensors you have to replace. Some vehicles can use up to 3 or 4 oxygen sensors at a time, so only have all of them replaced when absolutely necessary.

A THING THAT HAPPENS ONCE WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. A THING THAT HAPPENS TWICE WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN A THIRD TIME...

Offline FortisCuore

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
gr8 going as always Cypher

Offline Boost Rehearsal

• Boost From Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
ok well if u say so

Offline otis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
mi bass just buy a new 1 it won't work  [wacko]

Offline MR.SHIRT

• got k-pro dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »
mi bass just buy a new 1 it won't work  [wacko]

think u have to buy the genuine denso ones. its the same thing happening to my k20a3.

Offline Boost Rehearsal

• Boost From Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 2, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
they are universal right

Offline MR.SHIRT

• got k-pro dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 4, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
nope! the ones that work on the auto cant work on the manual tranny car

Offline ЯāĢSpeEd نيسان

• WJ Moderator
  • Extreme Member
  • L5-VE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 4, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
The o2 sensor can be cleaned of course with any solvent you wish.

Whether or not it will work thereafter is another matter.

Peace
'Motivation without substance is hype...' 'WolVEpack ftw...'

Offline RJD PERFORMANCE & AUTO PARTS

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 4, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
Buy it new...unu too cheap  [rofl]
RJD PERFORMANCE AND AUTO ACCESSORIES
SHOP 11 COTTAGE ROAD MOBAY 867-0874

Offline Boost Rehearsal

• Boost From Hell
    • View Profile